Intertherm Condenser Motor Wires

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

DIYMoe

Hello All!

I have a 4 ton 13 seer single package intertherm heat pump. The original GE blower motor failed the other day. I replaced it with a Emerson motor.

The old motor wire colors : Blk, White, Grn, Blu, Red, & Orange
The new motor wires: Blk, White, Grn, Blu, Red, Yellow, & 2 Brown

The two motors are slightly different. I connected the wires color, for color, except I connected the Yellow of the new motor to the Orange wire of the old. Last I bought a new run capacitor, and connected it between the 2 brown wires.

After switching main breaker on, the motor runs all the time. The rest of the unit works fine. The exhaust fan cuts off & on with the temp. setpoint, but the blower fan runs all the time.

I know you may not know exactly the wire codes for the emerson motor. I'm hoping if you would know which wire is for Fast, Med, & Slow speed & which is the common for the old motor.

The diagram that came with the Emerson motor only says: Blk = High Speed, Yellow = Med High Speed, Blue = Med Low Speed, Red = Low Speed, White = Common, Both brown wires show a 10.0 MFD 370V cap. in between.

The diagram for my old motor shows: Blk goes to 24v leg of transformer, then over to T1 on board. Orange goes to blower relay. Blue goes to L2 of compressor contactor. Red goes to W2 on defrost board. White goes to L1 of compressor contactor.

I just can't relate the new motor colors with the old connections.

Sorry so long. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh I forgot, the grn wire on both motors is for ground (LOL :lol: )
tritontr

Moe, it sounds like you have two very different motors . Was the Emerson a direct replacement for the GE? Was the GE available? As it appears from your post each motor is controlled differently the GE has low and high voltage connections and associated relay. Where the Emerson appears to be all high voltage connections . This doesn't look to be just a swap wire install you will probably need a service tech to look at your units wiring diagram and adapt it to your new motor.
Robert

Hi Moe,

Ok, may or may not be able to help here. If I can though, will need two things.

One is the unit model number.

Two is a $20 troubleshooting fee since the motor did not come from us.

Otherwise, it would be best to call an hvac tech to resolve this issue.

Let me know if you wish to continue and I'll send the troubleshooting fee link.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
DIYMoe

Ok, thanks for both replies!

My Intertherm Unit model #Q3RD-048K
It is a 4 ton, 13 SEER with 10K strips installed.
Purchased 6/06.

The condenser motor is a GE brand: Class B, 3/4HP, 60/50HZ, 208-230V, 6.0A, 1050RPM.
Model #5SME39NX LO14

Do you sell a direct replacement (same) motor for this unit?

Thanks.
tritontr

Moe - just for your info and to help avoid any confusion when you are getting parts. When you say condenser motor to a service tech or parts person we immediately think you are talking about the outdoor fan motor that exhaust to the outside air. When you are referring to the indoor fan motor that distributes air down your duct system that is referred to as the indoor blower motor. This is the same whether you have a package unit or split system. You used both descriptions in your post to refer to the same motor. This is not to be critical just a hint to help you get what you need.
DIYMoe

No problem tritontr; much thanks for the correction.

All of my discussions are definately for the blower motor (connected to the squirrel cage). This is the one that I'm seeking a replacement for.

Thanks for the help! :D
Robert

Hi,

Hope you're sitting down.

Indoor Blower Motor # M0023802R @ $514.12 + $8.00 shipping .

It can be ordered with Visa or Mastercard by calling toll free

to 1-877-263-7860 .

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?