how to move/repair electric stove

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Jan M

My (GE 1994-ish) stove baking element burned out in a flashy scary manner. Trying to cut the power, I tried to pull the stove away from the wall, thinking it would have a cord back there to unplug, and it wouldn't budge.
How are electric stoves installed in mobiles? How would a stove be moved if it had to be replaced? Would it be held in place by some kind of braces for when the home is moved?
I did turn the circuit breaker off while trying to move it; any other precautions I should take to avoid cooking my own goose? Is there a way to cut the power completely at the stove or do you have to use the circuit breaker?
There are drawers on one side of it and a partition wall on the other. If it won't pull forward, I don't see how it can be accessed without tearing structure out.
Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks!
shadow745

Cutting the power at the breaker is a good idea, until you can unplug it anyway. We own a modular and the stove is held in place somewhat by a bracket on the back leg(s). It not only secures it but also keeps it from being moved too close to the wall. Later!
Do what you can today, as you might not be here tomorrow!
Yanita

Hi,

These are put there for transport purposes. Push your stove to its original position, you might need to push it back a little further, then tilt the stove towards you and pull forward, this should release it from the brackets.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

New stoves also have the brackets, they are designed to prevent tipover should something heavy Like a big turkey fall onto an open oven door. How did we ever survive without all of these safety divices?? Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
flcruising

My stove also had a couple screws holding it to the floor. If you remove the bottom drawer, you should be able to tell.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]