HELP!...installer coming Friday...how do I run cables?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

computerman

Now I've read that you can drill down between the carpet and the baseboard, but the underneath is insulated and polly sheeted...am I to take from this that you drill through that?....

If someone who has gone through a FIOS install can give me some pointers...I sure don't want cables hanging on the sides of the home...

Thanks!
shadow745

My advice before you drill would be to go underneath the home, find where you'd like to drill, cut a small slit in the belly and have a look up in that area. You don't want to drill through any air ducts, water lines, or even the studs. It helps if you have a 2nd person standing on the spot you'd like to drill. Later!
Do what you can today, as you might not be here tomorrow!
computerman

Thanks for the info...is the insulation blown in or is it a bat?
shadow745

More than likely it's batt. Later!
Do what you can today, as you might not be here tomorrow!
flcruising

When I installed coax through the floor of my mother's house years ago (all her ducts were in the ceiling), I drilled a hole in the floor where appropriate, then took a straightened coat hanger and poked it down through the insulation and vapor barrier. Then it was simply a matter of going underneath, taping the cable to the hanger and pulling it up through the floor.

If you have ducts in the floor like shadow745 said, you need to be sure to avoid them.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
AbbottsManor

flcruising wrote:When I installed coax through the floor of my mother's house years ago (all her ducts were in the ceiling), I drilled a hole in the floor where appropriate, then took a straightened coat hanger and poked it down through the insulation and vapor barrier. Then it was simply a matter of going underneath, taping the cable to the hanger and pulling it up through the floor.

If you have ducts in the floor like shadow745 said, you need to be sure to avoid them.
That's exactly what I did, works like a charm.

Chris
computerman

Thanks everyone...sounds like a plan...yes, I have ducts in the floor, so I'll need to be careful...but hopefully the Fios guy has a clue... :P