Roof Leaking -- Rain Tonight

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

BeachBoy

I have a 1970 14 x 60 with a leak in the bedroom. I had a regular stick house roofer look at it. He said that the middle of the roof formed a "V" and water had collected about 1" to 1.5" deep. He sweep off the water, but said that he could not do anything while it is wet.

I asked if he could put a tarp on the roof for tonight because it was supposed to rain starting at Midnight and lasting most of the day, he said the water would go through the tarp if he did not build the middle up. He said to build up the middle would be expensive. Also he could not finish before nightfall.

He said he would come back when it is dry and the forecast was for a couple of dry days to seal it.

Any suggestions?
Greg

If it is a metal roof and the middle is pushed down you could try a plunger and see if you can pull it up for now. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Sealing the roof with the right stuff will stop the leaks. I would recommend at least 2 base coats of Ames Research, Elasto-Barrier and at least 2 top coats of Ames Research Maximum stretch. The Elasto-Barrier is excellent for ponding situations and the Maximum Stretch will help extend the life of the product.
http://www.amesresearch.com/roof_coatings.htm

I would not recommend trying to "build up" the roof from the top side. You certainly would not want to use any kind of leveling agent like fillers or bondo type products. If there is a belly in the roof, it is probably caused by broken or damaged trusses. To fix these, you will need to access the trusses either through the ceiling or roof. I would recommend the ceiling. I only cut through a roof when I will be installing a new "hard" roofing product over the existing roof. Trusses are easier to repair from the bottom as well.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
BeachBoy

Where do you find Ames products in California? The site does not show a retailer in Mobile, AL. I need the Elastomeric Coating either Monday or Tuesday.