Gutters or roof overhang?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Rosemary

Is it better to have seamless gutters with 4 downspouts on my singlewide or a metal roof placed with overhang? I cant afford them both and want to ensure that my house stays dry. I got a good estimate for the gutters, not sure about the cost of roof. If I replace roof, I am interested in the corrugated type metal and wonder if that could be placed directly over the original metal roof? I have a year 2000 Clayton SW. Thanks, Rosemary[/b]
Greg

I think the gutters would do two things, first they will help keep water from the roof from running down the side wall, plus it will help keep excessive wate from under your home.

Now if the home is a 2000, the roof should still be in good shape and not need replacement. What is the reason for replacing it? Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Rosemary

Thanks Greg. I think I am going to go with the gutters. As far as I know the roof is ok but it has never had the rubber sealant painted on so thought it might not be in the best of shape. I considered a new roof just because It would be new and durable. I am trying to get my home in the best shape that I can now. Do the original metal roofs last a long time and should it have rubber sealant asap? Thanks for your quick reply. Rosemary
Yanita

Hi Rosemary,

Here's my take on this...

Regardless if the roof is in good shape or not it seems these are problem roofs from the get go. LOL, JMO...

Personally if you have the money I would go with the metal roof over with the overhang. Do your research on metal roof overs. Go to the search function and type in metal roofs, author JD. Great post written by him. Get the best materials you can afford.

Again, there is thread after thread on this site that pertain to original metal roofs that have been sealed time and again and the end results seem to be the same...leaks!

I am sure others have different opinions and that is fine, this is only mine.

Hope you had a Merry Christmas,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

My opinion is this, If the roof is in good shape, don't mess with it. Take a look at it, if there is no rust started (usually at the seams), then leave it alone. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

While not wanting to test the tea, I would agree with Greg on this one. The most important factor would be rust. On an 8 year old galvanized roof, you shouldn't have a lot of rust. But if there is deep rust on the metal, it will shorten the life span of any sealants that come out of a bucket.

I always tell my customers to maintain their existing roof as long as possible. Mobile home roofing is expensive and you want to get the biggest bang for your buck. If there is no major rust problems, a metal roof can be maintained for 30 years or more if maintained properly.

I will agree with Yanita about even new roofs can have problems, but I feel that is much more likely on a re-roof than a factory rolled roof. There are many mobile home re-roof products available which are excellent but they can be pricey. A roof made from a corrugated metal panel type product will be less expensive for a DIY project but will have much more opportunities for leaks.

Overhangs may be the best thing that can happen for a mobile home roof, but the cost of the re-roof has to be weighed against the benefit. Having both an overhang and gutters would be ideal.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.