Metal roof

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

michaels

Hello, I have an 1991 single wide in northern Michigan. The winters are petty bad. I have such an ice build up on the edge of my roof in the winters. If I do not keep the ice clear I have water leaks. This past week was the most leaking I have ever had. I came home and found my carpeting all wet and the bottom of my exterior walls all wet. i could not tell where water came from but assumed it was because of the ice. I removed the ice and shoveled the roof because we got alot of rain yesterday. I currently have a shingled roof. This roof has taken quite a beating from me breaking the ice. There is no overhang. Would a metal roof with an overhang help solve my problems? Or would there still be ice problems. Some people say a mobile home can not support a metal roof. Any info would be great. Thank you
Greg

I would say that a metal roof would indeed help. Should you go with a metal roof the shingled roof should come off first, with that in mind I would think that it should support a metal roof, but without seeing it I would not say for sure.

I'm sure JD will see this and add his thoughts. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
michaels

Why should the shingled roof come off when putting on a metal roof? And what about metal shingles,would that be another option? Also there is 5-6, square roof vents on the roof. Would those need to be replaced or would the metal be cut to fit around the vents?
Greg

In a word, weight. You want as little weight up there as possible. Too much weight up there will literally bend the floor joists down. plus you could add extra insulation.

Any vents may need to be extended a few inches to come through the new roof. Mark has a chapter on replacing roofs in his book with step by step instructions. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

Just to clarify Greg's post..you would only/should remove the shingles, not the decking underneath. This will also give you the opportunity to check out the decking for rotten wood that may need replacing.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
jams002

how do metal roof will long last,what kind of paint will be apply to it?

Really good roofers usually use metal that will (they say) last 30 years or more. They usually have a selection of colors that are baked on (epoxy) at the factory and should last a long time.

Some people think it's a good idea to leave the first layer of shingles in place to further help with leaks (in case the metal does so), but yeah all it does is add weight and can even trap moisture between the 2. Later!
Do what you can today, as you might not be here tomorrow!
JD
Site Admin

I think any roof with an overhang would fix/help your problem. The water is icing and then thawing at the roof edge and then leaking into the wall.

Like others have said, it is best to remove the shingles. It does allow you to see and repair water damaged sheathing and adding weight to the roof may take you beyond the roof load your home was designed for. A shingle roof will weigh more than a metal roof, so by removing the shingles, you are sure to stay within the weight limit for your home.

Metal shingles could be an option, but they will weigh more than a panel roof and cost a whole bunch more.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.