Pilot problems on Coleman presidential II

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

msufroggy

Hello.
Furnace model #7710-856 Presidential II

Well recently fixed two problems thanks to this site (that I wrote about before...the booster motor and the crossover duct repair) so now furnace is blowing heat, but now we've come across another problem. :( (sigh)

The pilot seems to stay lit the entire day, then the furnace will kick on, and stay on until the thermostat temp is reached (ie it never shuts off prematurely), but once the burner/ blower goes off, the pilot also goes out!

I lit the pilot, and just turned on the blower to make sure the blower isn't doing it, which it is not. (if it did I guess it would probably mean a major gap/hole in the exchanger???? YiKeS! I have 3 carbon monoxide detectors in the home, and all is well, according to them).

I have yet to check the roof vents/etc for blockages, but I'm puzzled as to why the pilot only goes out right after the burners/blower shut down??? Anything else I should check? If it was a bad thermocouple, then why is the pilot staying on the entire day when the furnace is not in use?

It's becoming a real pain in the u know what to keep relighting the pilot when we need the furnace on.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
Robert

Hi,

Well without calling an hvac tech, it is just a guessing game as to what it is.

My first and second suspects would be transformer secondary voltage to gas valve and gas valve itself.

Could also check pilot tube and pilot burner to be sure they're clear and clean.

Thanks,
Robert
Last edited by Robert on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
msufroggy

Thanks, Robert. :) I will check the above things.

Also, I notice the pilot has a split flame, and from what I read could be from a dirty pilot tube? You did mention that, so we'll go from there.
Robert

Hi,

You're very welcome, happy to help. Let us know please what you find.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?