Black plastic covering under house insulation

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

buckmaster27012

I recently had to repair some leaking water pipes on a mobile home and had to cut the black plastic liner to get through the insulation to the pipes. Now I need a good way to get that black plastic back up. Had to replace some insulation also so just want to get it covered back up. Tried some duct tape but didnt figure that would work and it didnt. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site.

In our BOOKS/PARTS link you will find our belly repair tape. LOL, duct tape is wonderful stuff for some things, but as you have discovered it does not work on the underbelly.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
shadow745

Ordinary duct tape won't last long because it breaks down relatively fast. I have found Gorilla tape to be very good for this use, but of course it's expensive.

I've also tried vapor barrier tape from Lowe's that is used when housewrap is applied. But my favorite is aluminum foil tape that is designed for forced air duct work. It is expensive, but I had some laying around and used it to seal up a few areas and it is awesome. Stronger than any other tape I've tried and resists heat/cold and moisture. Later!
Do what you can today, as you might not be here tomorrow!
Harry

Yep Mark has both the spray and the right tape. Here's a link:

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/Order2.html#catalog

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
mist1953

Hi Buckmaster,

When I've had to repair the underbelly on our home I add new insulation and I then sew the cut with 20 pound test fishing line and clean the area real well and use the belly tape. I was told about sewing the underbelly from a mobile home repair person that has his own Mobile home store/repair business, he's been in business for 28+ years and since he informed me of how he does his repairs I have also repaired ours the same way and have not had any underbelly material pull apart and fall down and the tape seems to stay a lot better as there is no stress on the seam.