Awning question

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

solveg

OK... I've finished painting (by brush!) :shock: 3 coats of a soft lemon yellow and 3 coats primer/white paint on the trim.

So I was trying to figure out whether I was going to put white or black shutters on, and I was thinking that I what I really wanted was awnings, because the sun just beats in from the south.

So I was perusing Craig's List, and I saw 2 listings which, when combined, would give me enough tin awnings for all the windows of my mobile home except the front bay window. 2 doubles and 6 singles, all for $150. I'll bet they would cost $3,000 if bought new.

So...here's the craziness of the situation. They aren't all from one house. One set is very old and ornate and they're all a little different. The other set is 60's maybe with a ridged pattern.

This mobile home is a seasonal place and it has a country mix and match cutesy look to it. For instance, I am going to paint a rug on my front deck, yellow and white squares with blue flowers, complete with fringe. Think cheerful and shabby chic.

So I'm thinking that mismatched shutters could be really cute. Kind of like those cute tables that are set with every place setting different. It's the only way I can afford them. If I paint them white, and maybe find some border treatment in blue that would work on all the shutters and tie them together, then it wouldn't matter if they were all different.

There is one set that matches--the more modern ones... a double and 2 singles, and these are also the largest. I could put these on one side of the house. That would leave me with all the older ornate ones on the other side. But I'm kind of thinking that I should mix the two sets, so that it looks intentionally mismatched. You know, if I'm going to do this, I should fully commit to it or it will look like a mistake.

But what I didn't think about is that they all extend out differently, and maybe down. Am I going to be unhappy with this? Because it's a lot of work if they don't look right because they look "wrong".

I'm assuming that I should mount them so that the bottoms of the awnings align.

I also don't know how to mount them, or if they have all the mounting hardware I need.

Is there any advice anyone has for me on this project? I'll post some photos in my album.

Thanks....
Solveg, near Wichita KS, 1985 Fleetwood "Oak Knoll" Single wide, 14x80. No renovation experience.
solveg

I just realized I don't have a photo with the white trim, but it looks exactly like my "goal" photo, except I don't have the shutters yet.
Solveg, near Wichita KS, 1985 Fleetwood "Oak Knoll" Single wide, 14x80. No renovation experience.