FEMA house update - arrgh!

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

iafirebuff

Well, they just finished setting the FEMA houses - almost 2 months with numerous work crews, inspectors, FEMA folk 7 days a week, all new electrical boxes, etc. Well, now today (Sunday) They have removed the steps, took the skirting off, unhooked and are hauling out the FEMA house.. What a WASTE of our tax payers money! Really annoys me!
Greg

It's a no win situation for everyone involved. If the housing isn't ready and is needed, they take crap, if it is and not used they still will take crap. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
iafirebuff

What is frustrating is that they have 100+ FEMA homes sitting at the staging area in town waiting to be set up. The day before they started to move houses out - the FEMA inspectors were still doing their inspecting. There is so much "pork spending" ie, there are FEMA inspectors that they only inspect to make sure the house has a house #, an inspector that checks just the steps and so on. Took them about 2 months to "inspect" a house before someone could move in. The houses are set up complete in less than a day. Takes another 59 days to go through the inspectiojn process. It is comical, yet sad at the waste of $$$. Oh well, what can we do?

Oh on a side note, all the skirting and steps are scrapped - they do not reuse them as the steps are built on site for that site and the skirting is cut to that site. Wish I had one of thes gov contracts :)
Yanita

Hi Guys,

I am going to move this to the Off Topic forums as this is not about repairs.

Just a reminder that the Off Topic forum is to be used for all non repairs or topics that do fit into other forums....

Thanks,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
iafirebuff

I found out today that the house they are pulling out the houses because they are needed in Texas. They are leaving the steps behind and letting the park sell them off for services rendered.
Mark
Site Admin

Just wait until we start hearing about all the pork that got added to get the 700 billion bailout bill to pass. It'll probably make the FEMA trailer fiasco seem like peanut butter.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Harry

Yo

$700,000,000,000.00 was the bill that did NOT get passed.

The bail out bill that got passed is $850,000,000,000.00.

Pretty soon we're talking BIG money. Let the good times roll!!!

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
iafirebuff

Well good news (sort of) - they have moved out the FEMA house next door. FEMA left to the court all of the blocks, skirting and steps. The court is selling off the steps - VERY nice ones - I was going to build one for my back door - no need to now as I bought the deck/steps from next door :) Now to to dig down a few inches and set the hugh thing in place :)
Yanita

Hi,

Glad you got a deal!

In lieu of the economy and people still residing in FEMA homes since Katrina..did anyone else catch the little blip on tv that FEMA is considering charging rent on these homes after a certain time frame.

I only caught a blip of it, anyone heard anything?

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Harry

Yo

Published online 10/24/2008 11:02 PM

Rent on FEMA trailers to be lowered from $677FEMA has agreed to lower the rent it charges Greensburg residents still in FEMA trailers after Nov. 5.

Originally, FEMA planned to charge residents $677 per month to stay in the trailers. For the first 18 months after the tornado, the trailers were free.

The rent amount was problematic, especially for individuals already paying mortgages on homes that weren't yet move-in ready.

After calls from Kansas senators and representatives, the agency now has agreed to determine rent individually for each household.

For the month of November, each household will pay $50. The amount will increase by $50 each month the family stays there until the maximum rent of $667 is reached.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?