Removing Interior Wall

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Shaharradee

Is this a load bearing wall? I would like to remove this wall to make my living area larger. Right now it is a wall to a very small bed room that I don't use for anything but storing junk.

Yanita

Hi,

Typically in a single wide none of the interior walls are load bearing...ALTHOUGH, sometimes when the ceiling height changes from one side of the wall to the other it can be a load bearing wall.

Yanita
Last edited by Yanita on Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

That is a tough one to call. As Yanita said usually no, but you do hace a change in ceiling height. I think I would open up the wall and see what it is built with, If it is a loaded wall it should be built a little heavier that a standard dividing wall. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Shaharradee

Greg, Yanita,

I have another question. Are you talking about the wall that is going across the room or the wall going down the hall?

The one going across the room, at the ceiling, is not even on a ceiling joist. It seems to me that the one going down the hall would be the on with the weight on it. It's the one with all the joists crossing it.

Or am I just not seeing this right?
Greg

We are talking about the one crossing the room. There is a possibility that it may be a bearing wall, I have my doubts but it is better to check first. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

As I said, typically NO interior walls are load bearing, but some homes they are/can be. Without being there I will not guarentee that it is/is not.

I am pretty certain that it is not a load bearing, oppen it up (remove wallboard) from one side of the wall and see what you have there.

Keep in mind as you remove this wall that generally your wiring going to and from outlets/switches and over head lights usually drop from the ceiling oppose to in the wall as stick built homes are.

I will leave you a link to how mobile homes are built/constructed.

http://www.mygreathome.com/fix-it_guide/diagram.htm

Yanita
Shaharradee

Thank you for the link to mygreathome! That has a lot of good information on it......Dee
Yanita

Hi,

You are very welcome.

Yanita
justapoolman

I had almost the same identical situation and wall as you do.I removed mine and as it turned out mine was NOT a load bearing wall.I love my new living room.Good luck on your project.