Replaced Heat Tape - Now I am ready for winter :-)

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

iafirebuff

Ok Old Man Winter - I am ready! I replaced my heat tape today - boy did they do a real bad job when they re-did our water main. The Frostex cable had about a 12" section that the braid was gone!

Anyway, here is what I did - I bought new Frostex heat cable and a new end and plug kit. I got the old removed and saved the old foam pipe wrap tubes that they used for insulation. They only used 1/2" insulation before - according to the Frostex instructions that only protected me to 20 degrees. Here in Iowa it can get -20 with no problem what-so-ever.

So I got the new heat cable attached to the pex, replaced the 1/2" foam tubes and secured them to the pex and then I took 16"w x 2" thick x 48" long pieces of multi purpose fiberglass insulation and wrapped that around the pex/foam tubes. I then took heavy - 6 mil I think plastic and wrapped that around the fiberglass/foam/pex.

I used some cement blocks to elevate the water line assembly off the ground. I also used some foam pipe insulation tubes to insulate down into the crock. I placed the heat cable about 18" down into the crock and back up so the plug end was up and out of the crock. I plan on placing some fiberglass insualtion in the crock too.

So, it was not too bad of a job...I have a nice amount of insulation and according to Frostex's chart we should be protected down to -40 degress or more. I hope it does not get that cold!

It was raining out today, but it was nice and dry under the house - excpet for a few spots that the plastic in damaged - that is the next project :) Thanks to all for the tips I received!
Yanita

Hi,

Glad you got that job done...yup, ole man winter is not far away for many of you.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
iafirebuff

I had been reading the instructions and brochures.....the more I read the more contradicting information I found :) One instruction sheet would say one thing and another would say something different - both for the same product. So, I hopefully got it done right :) I don't know what I would do without this forum or the internet! I have learned alot over the years here!