adjust thermostat sensitivity?

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

June

My old Coleman furnace/AC seems to be working fine, but the thermostat doesn't call for the AC until the house temp is much higher than the setting. I keep it set on ~77-78 F; it kicks in at mid to upper 80's. If I lower the setting the house gets uncomfortably cold before it shuts off. Is this normal, or can I adjust the sensitivity, or do I need a new thermostat?
Evcon 025-35368-000 type 1C20-29
tnt17

Any chance of your floor registers are close enough to effect the thermostat? Like a/c flow within 4 to 5 feet, or the opposite? I have a similar problem, switched to a digital thermostat, but still at night it gets a tad cold. but i was happy that at least my readout on the thermostat would show 73 and the setting was 73, so thus it was kicking on.
Just for kicks, i put 2 wireless weather stations, one in the living room(50 feet from thermostat) and one in the master br(other side of house). The closer one in living room shows a readout of indoor temp at 75, bedroom shows 73. It seems the thermostat area is a degree difference then living room at most times and the master br a couple degrees cooler. I blame the open space/cathedral ceilings for the warmer living room area.
[url=http://www.stormpulse.com]Huricane & Thunderstorm Tracker link[/url]
Robert

Hi June,

They can be calibrated, but best solution is to replace.

I would go with a Honeywell digital or a White Rodgers digital.

Honeywell can be bought about anywhere. WR have to be bought at HVAC Supply.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
June

Thank you both for input. ...think I'll get a new one, which leads to another question. I believe the 2-wire thermostats are installed when there is just heat, no AC. My AC was an add-on sometime before I bought the house. Is re-working for a 4-wire something I might be able to do myself?
June
Robert

Hi June,

2 wire t-stats work with a/c also if there is a 2 wire a/c control box or the components from one are installed.

For a 4 wire t-stat, you will need a 4 wire a/c control box or the components needed from one.

Are you currently using a 2 wire t-stat ?

If so, do you have an a/c control box with two rocker type switches on front of it for heat-off-cool and fan-auto-on ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
June

Yes, two wire. I have a box mounted up on the blower housing. It has a rocker switch,simply heat and cool options. Out of the end of that box go two wiring harnesses, one to the blower motor, one down to a box with an on/off rocker switch, a label on top that says 7900 standing pilot series, and from the front of the top box the come 4 wires. The red and white ones go into the wall cavity beside the furnace, presumably, from there to the thermostat. The green and yellow wires connect to a two-wire line that goes through a hole in the floor, to the compressor outside.
June

When I went to put the cover back on the HVAC unit, I noticed that the sticker on the blower housing says 2-wire control box 892103. I presume that means I'm limited to a 2-wire thermostat.
Thanks!
Robert

Hi June,

You could switch to 4 wire, but without my being there to see exactly how all is wired, would not be easy to explain the wiring changes necessary.

I would advise a Tech for that.

The two wire t-stats work fine, you just have to set for heat or cool at control box instead of t-stat.

Also, IF the 2 wire t-stat has a heat-off-cool switch on it, be sure it stays always set to heat, even in cooling season.

Your a/c is controlled by the control box reversing relay inside.

Does your 2 wire control box have a wiring diagram on the box or cover ?

Take care and best wishes,
Robert