A/C not cooling well

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

mbahl

Hello,
I have 2 Nordyne A/C condensers in my yard. Sorry, I am unable to provide the model number, it is not listed on the condensers. It states it is a Ultra High Efficiency. This is a central air system. These are only A/C units not heat. I have had these units for about 17 years. I think one of them is not cooling as well as it should. Can you recommend some tips for servicing the unit? I am pretty handy but I don’t know much about the A/C's.

I change my filters monthly. Any help would be appreciated.

Should I put some spray cleaner on the coils in my attic?
Can I some how check the unit for the pressure of gas that is in the coil. Can I refill the gas in the coil if so with which type of gas? Is this as simple as refilling your car's a/c.

Thanks for all you help!
Robert

Hi,

Go here and read the articles on cleaning your a/c and cleaning your furnace blower motor.

They also cover the evaporator coils.

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/hvac/articleshvac.html

IF your charge is low, in order to test and/or add refrigerant, you must be certified.

No, it is way different from your a/c for your vehicle and carries a stiff fine and/or jail sentence if not certified and caught handling refrigerant.

Clean everything and if still not good , have a Tech check it out.

However, at 17 years old, chances are it is doing about as well as possible IF charge is ok and clean.

If you click on Furnace Parts in upper tool bar and then go to Nordyne A/C and Heat Pump link, you can purchase needed coil cleaners in aerosol cans if preferred.

Thanks for inquiring,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
mbahl

Hi Robert,
Thanks for your reply. I'm glad i asked before i get arrested. I will give it a try with your suggestions and if they do not work i will call a tech.

Thanks again i will keep you posted of my progress.
Robert

Hi,

You're very welcome, happy to help. Ask before you act is always a wise decision in regards to HVAC.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?