Flooring, Carpeting, Vents, Smell & RACCOONS!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Pistonhonda

I just want to say that I'm new here, and thanks for taking the time to look at my post.

I come from a family of carpenters, and my mom was a wallpaper hanger for 20+ years. So I feel the obligation to myself to fix these problems rather than have someone come, and do it for me. Suprisingly I went into the computer field, but I feel I picked up enough know-how to tackle this project myself.

I purchased the home about a year ago. Single wide. I thought it might be a better idea than renting. Living in the Midwest the winters can be unforgiving and the animals find any way they can to make shelter. They did so in the underbelly of my trailer. With the skirting ripped to shreds in two areas by raccoons coupled with sub-zero tempuratures my pipes froze and made living in the trailer a living hell. I have since repaired the skirting twice, but the raccoons are insessant. Now they are living in the front of the trailer. I have caught 3, but I know there are more.

Don't get my wrong I like nature, and living things, but these creatures leave a smell that is ruining my lively hood, I wake up with this smell in the house that is just terrible. It is not a dead animal smell but a urine type smell. It is just aweful. I know i have to tear up the floor in the rooms that the smell is worse in and replace any insulation that may be torn up or used for bedding.

So here is my problem.

I dont know if the floors are plywood what will come up in sections. (built in 1996)
I dont know if there is insulation in the floor or what it is
I dont have ANY idea what this is going to cost me

ANY help would be appreciated. Any thoughts at all.

Thanks so much for your time.

I have attached a very basic layout of my trailer. I hope this helps

Beau Brown

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/696/traileroc9.jpg
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site.

There are 2 things that will quickly destroy a MH. The first is water the second is critters and domestic pets getting under the homes.

First you will not have to remove the interior floors to fix underneath. You will go underneath, we call that "down under" and not a real pleasant place to be.

Since you know you have raccoons then you can count on that your underbelly material is pretty damaged and will need to be replaced. So will any insulation that they have nested in, urinated/defecated on and used as a pathway. Anything flattened out is useless.

To begin with, remove as many panels of skirting as you choose to get air and light underneath, do this only when you are ready to start the job. Remove all damaged underbelly material or trim back to neat even edges. This will make patching much easier. Remove the insulation...while you are down there I recommend you check all water lines if they have been near them, check for leaks, also the same with your duct work and repair/replace as necessary.

Replace the insulation and repair underbelly with underbelly replacement/patch material we sell here on site in the BOOKS/PARTS link above. While you are at the store we also sell wind rods that will help stabilize, make stronger your skirting. Or go to the ARTICLES link and read about Marks skirting project/upgrade and replace yours.

Hope this helps...others will be along and add further info should I have forgotten any...

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Hi & welcome. Personally I like steel skirting, If a critter can get through it I will sign the place over to it and move. Mark has an artical on doing his in the articals section.
I would guess that the sub floor is Partical board, use PLYWOOD for any repairs you make.
As Yanita said you will need to crawl into the "basement" to check the underbelly & insulation. Make sure you do in warm weather, it's not fun when it is cold with a wind blowing.
Costs? anyone's guess, you can get what you need at any home center, so shop around. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Pistonhonda

Thanks alot for your helpful replies.

I absoultely hate getting undearneath my trailer, its very different from some of the pictures I've seen on this website (with nice plastice laid out on the ground). Tons of bugs and stuff I just hate.

So I will shop around, and continue to trap the damned things.

Thanks alot for your time.

Beau
Yanita

Hi Beau,

To make it a little easier to crawl under there, get some bug bombs and toss under there before you remove the skirting. If you have any GAS pilots running please SHUT them OFF prior to setting the cans off. Once the daylight gets under there the bugs and whatever else generally take off! :lol:

As for the plastic on the ground that is a vapor/moisture barrier. In some areas it is either code or required through your insurance company. Whether it is or isn't, regardless I advocate that it is cheap insurance from evaporating moisture wicking into the underside of your home and the added benefit of a clean place to crawl around when those inevitable repairs come along. :roll:

The plastic is recommended at 6 mil, clear or black is unimportant. What is, is covering at least 80% of the ground under your home. IMO, since you have alot to do under there I recommend getting this in place as well while your skirting is down, makes the job a whole lot easier.

Take care and hope to help you again...

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
steve

Most critters hate the smell of "Moth Balls"
They are cheap andf you just toss them under there.