Packaged unit & Furnace Blower Question

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

achipola

I have a question about Packaged central air systems. I know they have an external blower (hence packaged unit) but the furnace closet seems to get really cold while the rest of the house is struggles to cool.

Should the central air be turning on the furnace blower as well or should it only use the external blower? I know when I turn on the furnace blower manually the air from the registers do blow faster, but I'm not sure if this is the correct operation of the unit. Currently the T-stat does not operate the furnace blower.

Thanks for the help!!
Robert

Hi,

No, the furnace blower remains off and air is circulated by packaged unit blower.

If furnace area is cool, may want to see if a close off damper was installed under furnace and at the supply duct connection to main trunkline.

It should have one and if furnace is gas, dangerous not to.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
achipola

Thanks for the quick response!

The furnace has a label saying there is a damper installed under it. I'll check it out and see if it's workin correctly. Thanks alot
Robert

You're very welcome. Be sure it is installed with louvers parallel to the duct.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
achipola

Well I was going to check the dampers but got side tracked when I noticed that the flex duct (cool side) had been infiltrated by some kind of rodents. The flex is just laying on the concrete slab. I spent the evening making temp repairs.

Now comes the question how hard would it be to install rigid duct? Would it be better than flex? Would lowes or Home Depot carry what I would need?

Thanks again for your help Robert.
Robert

Hi,

You're very welcome. Lowe's and HD most likely wouldn't have what is needed, but I have never tried to buy that there.

Best to go to an HVAC Supply House.

Thanks,
Robert