Water line to a Swamp Cooler

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

squirt13

I have a swamp cooler on my roof and the water supply line runs up the vent of the hot water heater and across the roof to the cooler. Is there a way of running it in the area between the ceiling and the roof? I live in Utah and I end up replacing it every year because the cold winters and the snow split the tubing on the roof.

My home is a 1995 Brookfield and has asphalt shingled roof it that makes a different. If this is possible I could bring the tubing out in the down shaft and then up into the cooler.

Also if this is possible which type of tubing should I use the old cooper tubing or the newer poly tubing?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Melinda
JD
Site Admin

Hi Melinda,

I would think it would be better to drain the cooler and line and disconnect it from the valve in the WH compartment. I am not a cold weather guy, but I wouldn't think copper tubing would crack if it has no water to expand.

I would be concerned about 1/4" line of any type running through the ceiling. Leaks could become very costly. The more straight vertical you go with the line the better.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Robert

Hi melinda,

I agree with JD, need to do winter prep on those swamp coolers and lines to prevent freeze ups which cause expansion and burst pipes.

I also would not run any water line through the small attic space due to what JD stated in a mishap situation.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Greg

Since I am not versed in swamp coolers (not connon up here in the north) I will throw this one out. How about PEX? Very forgiving when it comes to freeze ups.
I do agree, keep any water lines out of the ceiling space. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Robert

Pex is not supposed to be outside in sunlight. I think the copper drained for winter would hold up well for that type application.

IF the pex could be kept away from sunlight, I believe it would work well, but again, I would still drain it for assurance.

Because of that, copper would work also and save the labor.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
mrfixit1

I currently maintain about 10 coolers in a mobile home park. I used to do more but many have switched to AC. My customers tell me that they used to have to replace those lines annually until I came along.
As someone previously said, draining the line is the answer. I not only drain it but I blow through the line in case there are low spots that are holding the water. I have done this for 3 years and have not had to replace a line since.
mrfixit1

I forgot to mention that I quit using the poly line because the UV rays forced me to replace the line annually.
Greg

Ya I forgot about the UV factor, oops! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."