Black mold from A/C????

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

kfc333

I have the standard electric furnace and A-coil air conditioning unit in my mobile home. When winter comes and I run the heat I have no issues; change the filter once a month (hardly needs it, however). But here's the REAL PROBLEM.... When running the A/C, black "soot" gets on everything in the house; drapes, ceiling fan blades, furniture, trinkets, and most likely us people. The filter (I use decent quality pleated filters) will turn black in a very short time. No exaggeration, but after running my A/C for one day (the first day this year), the filter was so black that it had to be replaced. I just replaced the filter again today, 4 days later, because it was literally blacker than I've ever seen. I have cleaned the evap coils several times and, yes, I do wipe off black stuff but it's not anything I'd call severe. The water drains from the A/C pan and all else seems to work fine. Again, it only happens when running the A/C, which makes me think it's mold. Any ideas????? It's driving me nuts to the point I'm about ready to have the whole thing replaced with a packaged heat pump.

Keith :cry:
Robert

Hi Keith,

Go here to see our articles on cleaning a/c and blower motor:

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/hvac/articleshvac.html

Use bleach solution on coils and pan/drain line.

Pleated filters sometimes restrict airflow, I would use Hogs Hair filter material that is 1/2" thick and you cut to fit and place behind
louvered door panels.

You can get it at HVAC and Plumbing Supplies and sometimes at Wal-Mart.

Precision Air makes it for Wal-Mart and it is blue and woven cut to fit material.

Try that and see if it helps any.

It does sound like mold issues. Also, lay flashlight down in one register into the duct, go to next register and look back toward light with mirror.

Do this at all registers to inspect the ducting.

Thanks for inquiring,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
kfc333

Robert,
Thanks for the reply. I'll start at the end first; the ducts are clean. I've also pulled the blower unit out and have cleaned it thoroughly. Admittedly I have not cleaned the coils with bleach, but have wiped them down with clean hot water (from both sides). I've cleaned the pan and drain line. But what amazes me most is that being mold, it forms so quickly and flows through the air. I really don't find a build up of it on the coils or anywhere else. That's what is driving me crazy! Is this a common problem for this type of A/C design?
Robert

Hi,

That would be mold spores if it is mold and not sure what else it could be.

I haven't ran into that problem before, so wouldn't say it is common.

For it to get into the air, it would have to travel through the ductwork, so they would be infected as well.

Due to the safety hazards here, probably would be best to call someone to come and test things for mold bacteria.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?