Roofover.com aka Perma-Roof by Southern Builders

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

cphilip

Hello folks.

Is anyone familiar with this company? Roofover.com?

Any experience with their product and costs would be helpful

I need to roof over an older home. Considering the methods here and even a self supported structure... at this point not certain... but wonder if this might also be an option.

I have a 12' X 56'er I need to do.

*edited title to make it easier to find proper names on a search*
Last edited by cphilip on Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Harry

Hi

What part of the country do you live?

I am not familiar with roofover.com.

I wanted to do my roof awhile back. I was looking at:
http://www.mobilehomeadvantage.com/sku. ... 122/ID/24/

Moderator JD is the best authority of MH roofing I know. His advise is tops. He lives in Calif. He'll be up later.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
JD
Site Admin

I took a look at roofover.com. The roof looks like a fine product. Basically, it is the same roof as the metal roof plans available here at this site, except they are using insulating foam board as an insulator. I would be interested to know the final price of this product.

Harry, I saw where the "rubber" roof from MHadvantage says that the price includes everything and free shipping. So are they really saying they supply the foam board?

When figuring the price for the rubber roof, a 24x60 would be priced at 30x62. The rolls would be 15' wide and you would need some material to be able to work the transitions at the end.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
cphilip

I am located in the western quarter of South Carolina

MHadvanatage works out to about $2500

I sent in a request to Roofover.com for a quote. I will post it when I get it. From what I can tell their system provides a overhang system of a foot on the long ends and 6" on the short ends. And MH's does not.

The issue I have is a little transitional rise then over then back down... sort of a peak but not a tall nor sharp roof like peak. Just a rise... in the one about 10 foot section of the roof over the entry door. Otherwise it is that typical slightly curved roof

Sort of like this (although mine does not rise up quite as high as this one indicates

And this style roof...

cphilip

I just talked to the guy at Roofover.com (Which is Southern Builders)

and considering it as a 12X60 with three inches of insulation his quote was $2750 installed. And he gave me three places close by they have installed them to look at. So I am off to take a drive by... more later

That sounds reasonable doesn't it? Said he could have in on in two weeks.

Update... visited all three places. Unfortunately place one was a Shingle over (so had either moved or been redone) so even though nice...and hard to tell it was a Shingle over double wide, it was not the product I was wanting to see. However, admittedly, I only asked for some of their work and he gave them to me by close proximity and I stopped him after getting three, thinking I would see at least two examples of Aluminum overs. However second address is a place way back down a gravel road that the entrance has many "No Trespassing" and "Keep out" signs so I decided not to venture down there... third one was paydirt. Although the address was slightly askew because it appears to me that the customers address is next door to the actual Mobile Home that was done. Address was 119 and actual Mobil Home obviously done was 117 within a stones throw of 119. But its obvious that it is their style of work. However one they did quite a while back. Perhaps 10 years or even more. Still looked solid but weathered. Had been done in a dark color and in need of a washing but no signs that it had ever had to be repaired after the fact. No one home to talk to but it did appear a good job.

Further update... the older one that I got to see was indeed well over 10 years old and holding up fine. I could see no evidence of Rust nor repair

The company works out of various locations in groups of three jobs when they can. When they get three orders in about the same radius they send out the team. They install in one day. You do not pay for the job until completion so you have an opportunity to look over the material before they even start with no money out of pocket. They schedule normally within two weeks of the order. I went ahead and ordered a job. Supposed to schedule next week and be done the week of the 28th. So I will pay a visit back here and try and give some feedback on the level of work and materials and also take some pictures.
JD
Site Admin

Excellent information! Thanks for the post.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
cphilip

Well in all fairness I should say that, even though they use the Web address of "roofover.com" the roof system is really called "Perma-Roof" by Southern Builders. So in case anyone wants to talk about the type of roof system that would be more accurate. They appear to just have purchased the domain name of Roofover.com for this product.

More later as it develops. I imagine will be calling in the favor as I fix this old thing up. I will, after the roof goes on, be doing some inside Ceiling repair that I might need ya'lls advice on. And perhaps some window glass and screen repair here and there.
Yanita

Hi,

Just an added note to this...

Before you have your home reroofed make sure your home is level.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
cphilip

A quick update...

Got a call from them yesterday asking me if it would be alright if they scheduled if for THIS Thursday instead of next week. They had several jobs scheduled out near the NC Coast that the Weather is messing with so they thought they might try and do ours in this area this week instead. So I agreed as really its better for me because I have already torn out and repaired a large wet floor section and was attempting to protect it until next week. Now I don't have to worry as there is no rain forecast until this weekend.

So I should have some pictures for you to look at here later this week.

I did go look at one more job of theirs this weekend. About a 6 year old one. Looked fine and holding up fine according to the owner.
cphilip

Ok. Here is the install report.

They called me yesterday (Wednesday) around noon asking that if they were to get into town early enough, would it be alright to come on over and start. I agreed. However about 6pm they called and said they were still about an hour out so it would be first thing in the morning. But each time their communication was good.

About 7:30 this morning they rolled up to the house. The Mobile home sits next door to my house so they started pretty much by 8 am. And were completed by 11:30 AM. A crew of two experienced people. Very polite and never took a break. Good workers. Good coordination and very industrious. Looks good and appears very substantial. I think that the 3" foam they use works out to an additional R value of 12 more. So added to what you got this could add up to good insulation. They put on all new Vent caps and extend the pipes as needed. Lots of caulk between each Tin section and particularly on the caps. And a LOT of screws joining everything together. All screws getting Silicone and most on peaks or on edges of the surround and edging.

Here are some shots of the job as it progressed. This is the MH I am renovating so the roof was the key.

Robert

Sorry I didn't see this before now, but they are from my area and have been around a long time and do excellent work.

Their prices go up fairly often and if you ever inquire and don't have it done, you will remain on their mailing address for years.

You should be well satisfied with your new roof over.

BTW, my home County and State is Oconee County, SC . What part of western SC you in ?

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
cphilip

If you look back over those woods, behind that Mobile Home, about two or three miles you will see Oconee county! I am located about where Oconee and Pickens and Anderson counties come together. Just in Anderson County. On the other side of the Lake from Oconee county. In fact I can hear the boats on Lake Hartwell from here.
Robert

That is too cool, small world huh ? I was born at Anderson Memorial Hospital and was raised in Oconee County.

After high school, lived in Pickens County.

Joined Marines, met my future wife here in Tennessee when stationed here and have lived in Oconee County twice and here twice since we were married.

I was a Police Officer at 3 departments and a Deputy with Oconee County Sheriff's Dept and was retired on disability from an injury in 1997.

Moved back up here in '99.

My older brother is a retired Wildlife Officer who was assigned to Oconee, but his district also included Pickens and Anderson Counties.

I saw where you said you were from and then seen the pics and knew it was close, LOL.

I've done HVAC for 28+ years, even as a cop in SC and here in TN and worked all over Pickens and Anderson Counties, as well as Oconee.

Was home last in Sept. '07, hope to be back in August or Sept.

Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
cphilip

tis a small world indeed. Holler at me when you get back over the mountains.

My Son is a LEO currently working for Clemson University Dept. I also work for Clemson U. Have been there for 28 years. I do Environmental Compliance for them.

I just recently moved from Pickens County over here just into Anderson. I used to have a place out near where the old Pickens County Prison Farm was located. Up near the Mount Bethel/9 times/Shady Grove area. About 5 miles west of Pickens. Lived there for about 25 years.

Do you recall an area called "Fants Grove"? This place is on the other side of Fants Grove, were Clemson has a research park. Just off what used to be called Wild Hog Road (Hwy 187).
Robert

Yep, know it well. My younger brother is an Electrician with Clemson U. and my older brother was a firefighter with CU at one time.

Email me at [email protected] and give me your sons name, may know him.

I'll certainly holler at ya next time home, would love to meet ya and see that roofover.

Came close to doing it here about 3 years ago, but never did and wish now that I had.

Only 4 months til kick off, time to dirt roll tide,LOL !! :lol:

Robert