Converting Roofs from metal to shingled

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jarrod

i have a 97 thats a 80x16 it has that VERy cheap rolled on tin that is flat and makes alot of noise when its winding out. It has a pitch and rafters my question is if i do all the work and put shingles on it do i VENT THE ROOF STILL. i heard trailers are not ment to be vented if it had before metal>
JD
Site Admin

Hi Jarod and welcome to the forum.

Personally, I would not convert a rolled metal roof to a shingle roof without a permit, which should require an engineering report. You may be able to find out if the existing structure is approved for sheathing and shingles from the manufacturer.

Whether you should vent the shingle roof or not is a very good question. Obviously, the venting would not be very beneficial to the "attic" area with the metal roof intact. But I also believe that nailing sheathing to the trusses, through the metal roof could cause condensation problems. There is also a question as to what would happen with the additional heat build-up caused by the shingles absorbing heat.

I would think that if your existing trusses are built to handle the weight of sheathing and a shingle roof, the building department would probably want you to remove the existing metal roof. Just guessing here really. But it would make more sense to me than sandwiching the metal roof between your existing vapor barrier and the shingle roof. If your trusses are acceptable, you would end up with a standard shingle roof installation.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
jarrod

i live in south dakota a small town a building permitt dont take much at all but what are my other options to do beside rubber roof and i would like to keep my cost under 1200 and lowes has some speacials on shingling so i would rather do that way
Yanita

Hi,

There are other types of metal roofing that can be used to give your home a quality roof.

As JD implied a building permit and an engineers report is really what you should do, there is in all a good probability that your trusses will not with stand the weight of sheathing and shingles.

There is an ongoing thread titled Onduro roofing. Go back to the main forum page and scroll down till you see it.

Mark also has a manual that can be found in the books/parts link, you can either order a manual or a download version, both have instructions to a metal roof over geared to the DIY'ers.

There could be other roofing topics along the way.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

I don't think you could buy all the parts to a rubber roof for $1200. I think you are left with the shingle idea or the metal roof in the Onduro post and Mark's book. Even doing a proper "mop-on" roof with 3 bottom coats and 2 top coats, using Ames Research - Elasto-Barrier and Maximum Stretch (high quality, low price) would be more than $1200.

http://www.amesresearch.com/roof_coatings.htm

At that price range, I would definitely look at the metal roof in Mark's book.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
jarrod

Ok heres the deal i called Fleetwood to ask about my home to see if it could support shingles they said yes it would and i should vent it my problem is do i just use two standard turbine roof vents to vent it or will i need more. Another thing i see no mobile homes have overhangs just let the water run down the edge i was thinkin i wont not do a over hang but do some nice gutters instead? my father who does not know much about Mobile home but does some houses thinks i may need more roof vents since a house has a over hang and vents that way as well.