Largest man eating grizzly bear ever recorded in the world!

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Just imagine this guy roaming around outside your mobile home late at night deep in the cold northwest! :shock:
Holding Bear's Paw (above)
These pictures are of a man who works for the US Forest Service in Alaska, and his trophy bear. He was deer hunting last week when the large grizzly charged him from about 50 yards away. The guy emptied his 7mm Magnum semi-automatic rifle into the bear and it dropped a few feet from him. The big bear was still alive so the hunter reloaded and shot it several times in the head.

The bear was just over one thousand six hundred pounds. It stood 12' 6" high at the shoulder, 14' to the top of his head. It is the largest grizzly bear ever recorded in the world.

The Alaska Fish and Wildlife Commission did not let him keep it as a trophy, of course; but the bear will be stuffed and mounted, and placed on display at the Anchorage airport to remind tourists of the risks involved in the wild.

Analyzing contents of the bears stomach, the Fish and Wildlife Commission established the bear had killed at least two humans in the past 72 hours, including a hiker missing two days prior to the bear's own death. Backtracking from where the bear had originated, the US Forest Service found the hiker's emptied 38-caliber pistol. Not far from the pistol was the remains of the hiker. The other body has not been found. Although the hiker fired six shots and managed to hit the grizzly with four (that the Service ultimately retrieved, along with twelve 7mm slugs, inside the bear's body), it only wounded the bear and probably angered it immensely.

Think about this :

If you are an average size man, you would be level with the bear's navel when he stood upright. The bear would look you in the eye when it walked on all fours! To give additional perspective, this bear, standing on its hind legs, could walk up to an average single story house and look over the roof; or stand beside a two story house and look in the upper bedroom windows.
Yanita

Hi,

Just did a snopes.com on this. Although the photo is right the origins of the story is not...check out the link. Regardless, I would of died of fright with the rifle in the trembling hands!

Yanita

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/bearhunt.asp
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Robert

Yep, that has been around the internet globe several times. I first saw it about 6 years ago and he has changed careers with each cycle.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
oldfart

Hmmmm? Yup, I've seen the photos and heard the story as well. Matter of fact there's a newspaper clipping somewhere in this mess that my father sent me from Eagle River, Alaska. Now if I can ever figger out how to post a photo I'll send one in of an actual 1100lb. Kodiak Brown bear that my father killed in 1987. I have the skull sitting on my armorrie/chifferobe right now. It's real impressive! The bear was weighed and measured by the local game wardens..it squared out 11ft. from nose to tail. Had 13in. paws and a 35in. neck circumference. Big Brother Art has the tanned hide..a full rug-mount. That's real impressive! :) Don't know the status of whether it was a maneater or not but rest assured humans are just vittles to most predators. And black bears (common in most states) eat a lot more folks that ole grizz ever will. I figger it's cause they's more of them. (black bears..not humans..) Kind'a makes you wonder about the intelligence behind re-introducing large predators to the food chain though doesn't it? Seems some of the western states now have a lot of mountain lions...California in particular. And it's causing a shortage on joggers there! HAW!HAW!HAW! I just have to laugh when I envision some bunny-huggin' jogger with a PETA t'shirt running for dear life and screaming.."Shoot it for chrisakes!" And the game wardens watching and saying.."Cain't do it..they're protected!" And in some states in the upper midwest they re-introduced wolfs. Excellent idea! But they seem to have developed a taste for lumber-jacks. Last I recall they ate about 3 so far. Don't know why they like lumber-jacks. I rekkin' they'd be tough as an old cobb. Go figger?? Mebbe the folks that think we need such critters don't actually have to live with them..eh? JMHO of course. Audie..the Oldfart..