Coleman High Efficiency furnace

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Chuck

Hello, I'm looking for some advice. I have a 19 year old Coleman gas furnace with a/c that I would like to replace with a high efficiency furnace. The local mobile home dealer doesn't do installations, and local HVAC dealers say a regular high efficiency unit won't work properly in a manufactured home due to the lack of return air ducting.

My question is, has anyone had any experience with the Coleman High Efficiency 90 gas furnace for manufactured homes? Or is there any recommendation for another type of furnace? I can do a direct replacement, but I'd really like the savings over the long run with more efficiency.
Yanita

Hi,

I am not a tech and certainly Robert who is will respond.

My husband and I recently had our antiquated gas furnace removed from our home and had a self contained Goodman gas pack installed.

We did have a rep from Goodman come to our home and explain the process. They removed the MH furnace, installed some new duct work underneath. The air return for the new unit is where the old furnace used to be.

It's great, we gained a new closet, and all sound from the unit is now outside!

The savings on our gas bill has far exceeded anything I thought possible. Last Friday our gas provided called to suspend our monthly locked in prices (set amount paid monthly) as we have incurred over $500.00 credit, and the paying season does not end till Sept!

When Robert gets here he can explain the various things that you need to have checked or done for any type of heating unit that you may want.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Chuck

Thanks, that sounds like a good deal. Is there somewhere I can find info on the Goodman gaspack? I tried Google, but didn't find it.
Yanita

Robert

LOL, I love that lack of return air duct excuse which translates to we don't understand MH's and don't care to.

You can go to a newer high efficiency furnace of same specs as your current furnace.

You can also go to the gas pack that Yanita posted on.

Find you a HVAC Contractor not afraid of working on a MH and who has experience in them.

I love gas packs and have recommended them for years.

The most important issue in replacing a unit is the installer.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Chuck

I wish the installer was the easy part. For the area I live in, this may end up being a self-install. I can get an a/c contractor to remove/replace the coil.

So you are saying that all things being equal, the lack of return air duct is not an issue?
Robert

The amount of return air will be determined by the free air space at the return grille and the filter.

Your home is the return air duct/pathway.

Not ALL conventional homes have a return duct and use the same pathway as a MH.

It would not be designed for a MH if it could not be used.

Most HVAC contractors either do not understand MH's or just do not care to work on them.

Same can be said of electricians and plumbers.

THAT has forced MH owners, humans who need heat and air like everyone else, to do it themselves or do without.

That is the very reason I went to almost all MH work 5 years ago and a little over 2.5 years ago joined Mark as an employee through this website.

That's why when I came here over 8 years ago, I never left.

Nobody should ever do without heat or air anywhere, especially in this country, regardless if they are in a MH, igloo or cardboard box.

If they are forced to DIY, we will do everything in our ability to make sure it is DIY'ed right and safely.

In your situation, the gas pack would be a good option.

It has all heat and a/c in the one outside unit and only needs wiring and two ducts ran, return and supply.

Supply connects to main duct trunkline and the return is connected to a return air grille set up in home.

That would need to be cut out in floor most often, but depends on current home and unit layout.

Sorry for rambling a bit, but this issue is a sore spot for me and has been for 28+ years.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Yanita

Hi,

In case you didn't see it on the Goodman site there is a box in the upper right hand corner, type in your zip code and it will tell you of a contractor in your area.

Yanita