furnace has high winds blowing pilot light out

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

[email protected]

My furnace which is a Coleman 7900 Series in an older mobile home, has had some thing going on I don't understand. When the furnace reaches the temperature set on thermostat, it shuts off which is normal. However, the pilot light blows out do to some very strong wind coming from somewhere. I have to use a Coleman butane torch to re-light and then we go to the same thing again, time after time. This usually only happens when the outside wind is blowing in excess of 10-15 mph. I could sure use some help as I don't have a lot of money being a retired veteran on disability and cannot afford a big expense from a furnace repairman. :?:
Robert

Have you checked to see if the draft is coming from your roof-jack ?

Is your roof-jack extending above peak of roof ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
[email protected]

A friend of mine actually changed the top of the two parts of the chimney or pipe(?) that sticks above the roof. We thought maybe it was coming in there? I did no good at all. The one on the roof has been on there for about 30 years. I questioned if there is a damper in the thing like the old stoves used to have but we don't know and there is none in there now. We took the blower off the furnace and everything there looked normal. I'm open for any suggestions but blowing it up is not an option. Yes I am humbley grateful, thanks. -jim-
Robert

Hi Jim,

If you know when it happens, you'll need to be there and see if that is where it's coming from ?

Does the roof-jack extend above the peak of your roof ?

At 30 years old, it may be a seperation in roof-jack.

Did your friend replace those sections with Coleman roof-jack sections, crown, extensions, etc. ?

It is a must to know where the draft is coming from before you can begin to find a resolution.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?