lack of Humidity

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

moabird

I live in a 1973 homestead 14 x 70 mobile which I have renovated over the last few years, location is (Southern Alberta)
Renos include, new skirting, all new double paned PVC windows, peeked plywood roof, covered it with corrigated green metal, oak kitchen,also has a 16x8ft porch,which matches the home, going to gut the bathroom this spring and put in a new bathroom. all this being said, now my problem,
I had the old Coleman Furnace removed from inside and replaced it with a new Outdoor Carrier Furnace and Air conditioner combined. There are two filters inside the home
one in the floor mid way down the hall and one in the back bedroom,they measure 14in X 8in, it,s a great system,no more noise inside. The only problem is they can,t attach a Humidifier to it because it would freeze, being outside. the Humidity inside the home at this time of year is only 28% I
would like up to around 40%. I have tried different sizes of portable humidifiers but have had little success bringing the humidity up for any length of time. Does anyone have any ideas, how I could solve this problem. Any information will be much appreciated. Chas-O. :P
Robert

Hi,

Not sure beyond what you've already tried.

Did the HVAC contractor have any suggestions ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
moabird

Hi Robert, The only reply I got was they could not put one into the air duct like you would in a normal house. At the moment I use a small humidifier in the bedroom at night which brings the humidity up to around 35% but go,s back down to around 28% real quick after I turn it off. I was wondering how other people in mobiles keep their humidity up.Would I possibly need two big portable ones, one at each end of the mobile and how do you work out how much humidity to put into a certain square footage to get the right level of humidity. Thanks for replying, Chas-O.
Robert

You'll need a contractor who sells and installs humidifiers. They should be able to tell what size you need and also should be able to help you find a solution.

Portable ones are most often used, but I haven't dealt with humidifiers at all in several years.

If it can be installed in a conventional home, it can go in a MH, just needs some modifications in most situations.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
moabird

Thanks for the advice,will checkout some other contractors when the weather warms up again. Probably spring!
Chas-O.
Robert

You're very welcome, wish I could help more. Contractors who deal in those should be able to help with needed info.

Thanks for inquiring,
Robert
Manitoba Bill

This is the first winter I have been using a portable humidifier and I find it does keep my 14x60 mobile at 40%. It is a Beaumark with 2 speeds and in colder weather I have to add 4L daily.

It cycles on and off mostly just after the furnace shuts down and has a humidity switch which is a great feature. I have it set quite low on the rotary switch.

I have it midway in my mobile at the entrance to the hallway, just off the LR.
Last edited by Manitoba Bill on Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
[color=red]
I'm not an Expert, just a DIY[/color]
moabird

Hi Bill, thanks for the posting. could you tell me which store you bought it from, Sears or the Bay,etc and the cost because we have those types of stores here and I can look around. thanks. Chas-O.
Manitoba Bill

LOL I knew you would ask me that. Unfortunately all I can tell you is what is on the label. I got it for free from a friends neighbour who was moving.

The label reads; Cat. # 71210A
120V 0.85A Has a CSA label.
[color=red]
moabird

Thanks Bill for the info, I,ll have a look around and see what I can do with that info, really appreciate it. Chas-O.
Manitoba Bill

You're welcome. I did a search on Google and didn't find much more.

By the way, I wrote down Beaumark but posted Beaumont. LOL

(There was a street in town called Beaumont.)
[color=red]
moabird

Thanks all you guys that answered my post. I decided to go the way Manitoba bill went, with a large portable Humidifier.
I bought a Kenmore 45litre , will do 2500 sq ft. I have it in the hallway, between the two return air ducts and for the last week it is holding at 35% humidity, with the setting I put it at. Thanks Manitoba Bill and everyone else for the information. :D Chas-O
Robert

You're very welcome, hope it gives the needed humidity.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Manitoba Bill

You're very welcome.

With only 5+ weeks to the first day of spring we will hopefully not need our humidifiers much longer.
[color=red]