Cheap Roof Over?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

davery5872

I have a 1972 singlewide in Florida that is only for seasonal use. In the summer it gets very hot inside, sometimes to about 90 degrees. It has the original roof. If I lay down rigid insulation, maybe 4", then lay "peel and seal" over it (attaching it mechanically at the edges), would that work? If not, any other suggestions for a cheap roof over?
Yanita

Hi,

Go to the articles link in the blue task menu above, in there you will see Mark's roof over. Also in the books/parts link there is Mark's repair manual, this has complete instructions on how to do it.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

The other type that I have seen is a free standing pole barn style. you will need to check the codes in your area before doing any type of roofover. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Another idea would be to go over the rigid insulation with a PVC or EPDM rubber membrane (single-ply roofing). Basically the same as you planned with the peel-n-stick, but easier to install and a better roof when you are done. The single ply roof vents and seams are a little harder to do, but the peel-n-stick can have it's installation problems too. I have also seen a lot of of the peel-n-stick here that was not sticking. One person can easily carry a single ply roof up a ladder and it is easy to maneuver around. JMO

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Demolition

Remember that the mobile home is not designed to hold the weight of a standard wood roof.
Check Mark's book for ideas on how to build a roof over.
Also remember, if you ever decide to move the mobile home, you will have to remove the roof thing before the licensed mobile home mover will begin his work.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
Manitoba Bill

davery5872 wrote:I have a 1972 singlewide in Florida that is only for seasonal use. In the summer it gets very hot inside, sometimes to about 90 degrees. It has the original roof.
You don't mention what type of roof you have. When I moved into my mobile 20 years ago I spent my first vacation putting two coats of Weatherbeater white paint over the dark grey galvanized metal.
I have also painted the galv. addition roof and it works very well in keeping the heat out.

(It was a race between the morning dew and the sun heating the galv. by 10 a.m.)

Better yet is the RV type of roof coatings that JD uses.
[color=red]
I'm not an Expert, just a DIY[/color]
Yanita

Hi,

As Manitoba Bill mentioned you did not say what type of roof you have.

When I owned our singlewide it had the metal roof, and the electrical bill was high in the summer months. I used a white coating, think it was called Kool seal, not sure if its good or bad in quality, but I do know that it was much easier to cool the home that summer.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!