replacing floor registers

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

curlylocks

Any suggestions for replacing floor registers? not installing them (haha) but does anyone have any suggestions on any particular type /style that may be more heating/cooiling efficient?
the ones I have now do not seem to be the type that can be opened and closed... and past owners have walked on them... set furniture on them and mooshed them down so they are closed..
curlylocks

OH and I am looking for a company or web site that sells a pellet stove insert that will fit in my mobile home fireplace.. this propane furnace is going to have me in the poor house... propane runs @ 4.99 a gallon here so I need an alternate heat source...
Yanita

HI,

In all 3 mobiles that I have owned I was able to replace the vent covers with metal ones from Lowe's or Home Depot.

As for the pellet stove insert I have no idea. I guess you go do a google on pellet stoves and see if the make the inserts and if the do are they MH approved. I think that Harman makes an actual pellet furnace but I don't think it is for a MH.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
curlylocks

i've seen them for fireplaces, just curious cuz the fireplace seems to be a bit smaller than the conventional size, its a wood burning fireplace
Kristi1

Here are sites I found for pellet stove inserts below;

http://www.harmanstoves.com/

http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.ph ... d_inserts/

http://www.stoveshoppe.com/inserts.html

http://www.lopistoves.com/

I hope these links above help ya hon!

as far as Registers, they're Very Easy to Replace, I got my new floor registers at Home Depot, also Lowes has them too!

Take Care,

Kristi
Life is an Adventure, Jump in!
curlylocks

awesome... thanks!
Kristi1

curlylocks wrote:awesome... thanks!
You're Very Welcome hon! I hope ya stay warm there. :mrgreen:
Life is an Adventure, Jump in!
SpongeBob

HI curlylocks,
I understand your wanting an alternative and cheaper heat source. Before diving into the pellet stove as an answer, make sure that you will be able to keep yourself supplied with the pellets. Here in the new england they are sometimes harder to come by. Most folks stock up by the pallet or ton during early fall. If you wait for winter to get supplied, it could be a bit difficult.

-Bob
Yanita

Hi,

That is true SpongeBob,

A pellet stove would be ideal for my area, but seems because I am just below the Mason Dixon (for the Harman brand) line the nearest dealer for me is in Virginia...and as you said the pellets would need to be ordered by the pallet in the fall.

I searched the archives last night and for the life of me I could not find the past threads that contained many links and alot of info about this. I remember a group of us having a very lengthy discussion about this.

I also reviewed the Harman site last night and again, I could not find the one that was MH approved, there used to be one.

Yanita
klm9707

I replaced a floor register in a bathroom that I bought at Home Depot. I bought a plastic one so this time it wont rust.
Yanita

Hi,

Plastic vents covers are fine if your registers are not in the traffic flow, if they are I recommend the metal ones.

Yanita
Lisa

I have tried the popular "home stores" for register covers and none seem to have the right size, being I need 4x8's. If you have any RV stores in your area, try there. I hit the jackpot after my long search....lol. Good luck!
curlylocks

actually I have found that a kerosun heater placed under the ceiling fan in my livingroom will heat the entire home..

of course you only want to use it when u are home and make sure you have a carbon monoxide alarm installed

I shut it down when i leave for work and turn the thermastat all the way down