Siding problems... help please.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

klm9707

I need some opinions on a siding issue I have been having. Our brand new home was delivered and set up, just over a year ago. From day one we have had problems with the top row of siding falling off. They have come back two times and "fixed" it and it is falling off again. They have stapled it, glued it and screwed it. And again there is siding that has fallen off and some hanging loosely. We AGAIN have gone back to the seller of the home and they have put in a work order for it. If I am lucky enough that they even acknowledge this for the third time, what can I do to make sure it is fixed properly this time. Any ideas on why this keeps happening. In my opinion (could be wrong) it appears that there is nothing that the screws and staples have hit to hold it. And I know that this along with the glue is even the wrong method for fixing this. What can I do? :cry:
JD
Site Admin

Here is how I finish siding at the top of a wall. Note that depending on if there is an overhang or just drip rail, the top of the vinyl J-channel will need to be flashed and sealed.

All of the drawings were taken (and modified) from the Vinyl Siding Institute Installation Manual. I highly suggest that you download the manual from this link.
http://www.vinylsiding.org/publications ... nglish.pdf

Usually at the top of the wall there will be J-channel. But inside of this J-channel, there should be a second trim called Finish Trim or Utility Trim.

When you cut the top course of siding to fit inside of the utility trim, you need to use a Snap Lock Punch tool, to create little flaps which will work as clips. The Utility Trim has an inverted lip to receive these flaps or clips.

This image shows how it all goes together.

Here is how this same technique works under a window. It may show the process better.

Using the Snap Lock Tool takes a little practice to learn exactly where to cut and notch the siding so it is not too loose or too tight when installed. It should fit slightly snug, but not tight.

There are many other factors involved in the correct installation of vinyl siding such as, flashing, window underlayment, nailing, etc. I am just trying to show how to finish the top so that it stays put. Please refer to the Installation Manual for more information.

Hope this helps.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
StillKavey

If you dont want to buy a snap lock tool and utility trim you can put a dab of caulk every couple of feet in the bottom channel of the top piece of siding.. then when you put it up the caulk will hold it to the piece below it. Might not be the recommended procedure but ive done this on hundreds of houses and never had a callback.