New Year's Eve Disaster to my Floors....Help!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

shashawilkes

:cry: Okay, had to buy a washer, they delivered, set it up, unfortunately I forgot my hot/cold connections are backwards...I unhooked and hooked up - didn't notice one was leaking...oooo
floor was wet, I mopped it up after fixing it. I got distracted when I went to wash another load....I forgot to put my drain hose back in....Flooding the utility and part of my kitchen. I used every resource to mop up all the water & tossed everything else onto the back deck....Here's the problem...I know in my master bath, which is directly behind the utility, the flooring is plywood under the tub, but I don't know about the rest....What are my risk of ruining my subfloors???? Or do you think I have plywood in this area also?
I have a Fleetwood 2001 model.
RGS

Seems like you caught it right away and got rid of excess water which is good. If you have any fans set them on the floor to dry them quicker. If any of the area has carpet you may have to pull it back as well or the water may soak into the flooring and you'll also be able to tell if you have plywood or particle board under there. Without looking there's usually no way of telling what you have for subflooring. Hope this helps.
Harry

Hi

To be sure I would go down under with a bright light and spot check a few areas. You may have to make a small hole in the belly wrap to see the floor.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hi,

Also check any floor vents in the area that may of gotten water in them, you can remove the water with a wet/dry vac.

Happy New Year,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Hi & welcome. It sounds like you are on top of things so you may not have any damage. The damage happens after prolonged exposure to moisture. Keep an eye on things, but it sounds to me like you will be OK. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Dirty White Boy

First off, make sure you do not place any heating element near the water damaged area to try and dry it out. This is a big mistake and will just cause mold. Place regular fans around the area and let them dry it out, this will also increase the chance of saving the floors...
klm9707

Wow, and I thought we were he only ones to have that kind of luck. Not a nice way to start the new year is it? When we moved into our new home right after it was delivered and set up I did my first load of laundry and when I went into the laundry room to put them in the dryer, the room was flooded. I guess there was some sort of plug in the drain that was never removed. But anyways I vas very fortunate that there was no damage. I have a front loader and it doesnt hold that much water. I dont have any good advice for the floor like everyone else has, just wanted to say that your not alone out there. Hope you have some good fortune in the end like I did and no major damage is done.
garrett_reukauf

This may be a little late in reply to your unfortunate mishap, BUT here is one way to tell what kinda a flooring you have. If you have floor vents, simply unscrew the vents, remove the vent from the opening and gently peel back a tiny bit of the carpeting or flooring and you should be able to tell what kind of flooring is in there. Just an idea, im sure someone will correct me if i am wrong.
Goodluck, hope it all ends well, I hope you put the hose back in the wall right away before you do anymore wash :cry:
cottonlily

Also too late, but I did this (twice) in a dw we were renting before our house was finished. I used hubby's shop vac to suck every little ounce of water I could get out of the carpet. Sounds like you did catch it in enough time (and didn't do it again like some people!) and since you were dealing with vinyl floors I think you're ok.
Demolition

You got a couple weeks till the floor gets weak. So just pay attention to see if it gets soft. If it does, save up and buy some 3/4 inch plywood.
Till then, do like they said above, keep the floor dried out and put some fans in there to dry it out.
In the summertime, we take the skirting off our house to make sure it stays dried out. In the winter we put it back so the house don't get so cold.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
carolhalverson

If you can get your hands on a dehumidifier it will help a lot. It sucks the moisture out of the air and will help to dry out the flooring etc. I consider it to be a necessity for mobile home owners to help with all our moisture problems. Good luck.