Crack in ceiling!!!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Spongebob123456789

:? Hello again. Here I go with another question:

I have a crack in the ceiling in my master bathroom that goes out past the furnace into the kitchen. A while back I noticed that when I turned off the light in the bathroom I could see light coming from the kitchen through the top of the wall. (sorry for bring so long winded) But anyways I removed the trim from the top of the wall and found 1-1/2" gap that wasn't finished. Being really irritated, I filled some of it in. (I used some cauking, not the best idea) I figured that the company that built the MH got into a hurry and did not finish the wall up to the ceiling. It is like this all around the furnace. I'm almost sure that is what caused the ceiling to crack. A weak spot. I fixed the crack and check above the furnace to check for any leaks and there was none. Thank goodness!!

What would could be done to fix that gap!!!

Any suggestions??

I am a very picky person when it comes to this MH. If I find something wrong, I don't care if it is two in the morning I'm up fixing it. I'm sure I'm driving my family crazy!!!

thanks again!!
Greg

Your ceiling is made of sheetrock, the only other thing you could use is some joint compound, then you have the problem of getting the texture to match. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Spongebob123456789

Greg, I'm not worried about getting the gap between the wall and the ceiling to match. I can cover it with the trim. Would I have to use something behind the joint compound to make it strong??

thanks.
Greg

If the gap is more than 1/4" you would need to use joint tape. I use the fiberglass type, it seems to hold a little better. Greg
cottonlily

We had some friends who rented a DW. In it you could see light coming from a closet into a bathroom and vice versa. After checking they noticed one closet wasn't even trimmed out; and the wall didn't reach the ceiling there either. Though they had no cracks in the ceilings, it is irritating to know your home is put together in such a manner.
Greg

Irritating yes, unexpected no. These homes are built on an assembly line, all it takes is for one person to be having a bad day or to forget one step. Then there is the Monday / Friday factor. Greg
Arlo

If I'm reading correctly, the gap is where the wall meets the ceiling? Why couldn't you put raise the crown moulding trim or if it's too small get wider moulding. In our living room the crown is backed by 4" baseboard flipped upside down. This is known as "two member crown" You put the flipped baseboard about 2" from ceiling, flipped so the beaded "fancy" part shows and then put the crown over it. Wish I had a digital pic but most any finish carpentry book at Home Depot will have pictures of it. You can look through it without buying it! Cutting molding is tough but matching texture in ceilings is REALLY tough.
Demolition

You mentioned the crack was around the furnace.
In some Mobile Homes, if the furnace is heavy or if there is a Bay Window, there should be support piers under that item.
You can get an estimate from a licensed MH installer. I am thinking they will take a 16x16x4 inch concrete block, and several 8x8x16 inch blocks, then one or two one inch or two inch blocks, then a block of hardwood, (pressure treated) and one or two wooded wedges, that they hammer in to make it snuggly.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
BIG O

My MH has the same thing between the master bathroom and kitchen. Also has a crack in the ceiling next to the light fixture. I noticed both of these when the MH was still under warranty but ellected to let it go due to the fact that the repairs were going to be more destructive than the condition. They both open and close up due to ambient temperature. doesn't seem to hurt anything. Sometimes the cure can be worse than the condition!
IT'S BIG O BABY!!
oldfart

Folks one thing I can tell ya'll is that if you have drywall/sheetrock in a home such as ours..it's gonna crack at the seams. If it hasn't done it yet..it will..just give it time. When I rebuilt my 12X70 s.w. I restudded all the interior walls and glued and screwed every drywall joint. Walls and ceilings. Every joint had a 2x4 layed flat..no joints split up on the edge of a 2X4. It still cracked. Adding in another layer of joint-compound is a waste of time and money. It'll still crack! Adding in a filler of paintable caulking sounds like a good idea. It ain't. The caulking will expand and contract..the paint will not. You'll still have cracks. (That's why they used paneling and trim strips to cover the joints. ) I even ripped out the ceiling entirely and joined all the rafters together with above-rafter beams to help solve this problem. Didn't work. When the sun beats down on that metal roof it will expand..so will the walls. And the drywall joints will crack. I'm afraid I can't tell ya what will work. I can tell ya what won't work! What we need is a reasonably priced paint that will expand and contract and flex. Just like the automotive industry uses on plastic bumpers and side panels. I ain't found it yet. JMHO of course. Audie..up to his eyeballs in cracks.
Yanita

Audie,

That is exactly why when folks ask about removing the batten strips and mudding the joints I always say there are pros and cons...seems some folks can get away with it and others can't.

Sorry to here about all your cracks, I know you did alot of work in that ole home!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
oldfart

Aye Mz. Yanita I rekkin' it all depends on your location, how level yer home is and how much it expands and contracts tru-out the seasons. Now, mind ye, I'm no too unhappy with my work..but there has been some disapointment. I tied all the rafters and walls together carefully and did my best to counteract this problem. Didn't work! I've spent a lot of years building homes and laying up drywall and used every trick I know. Fact is... a mobile home expands and contracts a helluva lot more than most folks realize! As summer came into fall and tempretures went from 80 degrees in daytime to near freezing at night..it sounded like gun shots as my home changed positions. I could actually see the cracks forming shortly after the tempreture changed so radically. Most folks don't even notice those tiny hairline cracks!! I do. I see every one and it makes me want to weep. I'm still not sure if there even is a solution. In the attic.. (if I may be so bold as to even call it that..) the temps may go from outside air temp. (presently 35 degrees) to over 120 degrees when the sun hits that big expanse of metal... by 9a.m.! The walls have the same inherent problem...and as yet no solution. I have installed a gable-end fan on a timer that turns the fan on just before daybreak and it runs till noon each day. This has prevented the dreaded condensation which nearly ruined my kitchen ceiling last year. It's not a proper solution, but merely a Band-Aid until I can figger out a better way. But, all-in-all...I have a better home, more energy efficient..and no mortgage. Life is good. YHMS...Audie, the oldfart...