Replace Light Switch

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

blizpet

My mobile home is about 10 years old, and the light switches have started to go bad. The most recent one makes a sizzling sound when you try to turn it on. I contacted an electrician (after being turned down by most) who came out and tried to replace the switch. Those switches are the devil to get the wires into, and if you do manage to get them in, the switch gets broken in the process. I thought it was just me, but it happened to him also. He went away again, and I still have 3 broken light switches. I replaced one myself, but suspect that the switch got broken during the process, since the light still will not work. I would like to replace these switches with a regular light switch. Can anyone tell me how to connect the wires to the regular switch? Does anyone have a resource for acquiring regular light switches that you can install into the existing hole?
flcruising

I understand your frustration with the light switches, I had to rewire one when I removed some knee walls and eliminated an outlet.

I think the easiest way for you would be to buy the 'old work' box like this:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none

and just put standard switches into it.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Greg

Hi & welcome. There are 2 areas that we shy away from giving detailed advice on here, Gas & Electrical repairs. Granted switch replacement is USUALLY a simple repair people have been killed doing them. Our advice is either contact a qualified electrician Or purchace a detailed book on electrical repair.
We are not trying to be dificult but we do not want anyone killed either. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Demolition

Sometimes Mobile Home parts are different than
regular house parts. I know plumbing parts are different, not sure about electric things.

Maybe call a local mobile home dealer and see if there is a Mobile Home Repair person in the area.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
Yanita

Hi,

Yes you can use regular boxes, BUT as Greg said some things we shy away from giving the instructions on how to do.

Happy Holidays,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Archie

Proceed at your own risk but there are some pics in the interior projects photo album that may be useful. Just click on the album link above and then on interior pics.
Experience is what you get after you need it.
Yanita

Thanks Archie,

I forgot those pics where there.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
blizpet

Thanks for the information. I don't mess around with electricity lightly. I shut off breaker box to the whole house when working on anything. I prefer not to have to do anything like this myself, but it is hard to get anyone to work on a mobile home.

At least now I know what to buy. Maybe if I have everything purchased I can get the electrician to come back and put them in for me.