Electric fireplace question...........

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

gram2logan

We were going to get a gas fireplace, but the cost is just becoming unrealistic for us. Does anyone have an electric fireplace? We need one that will also heat the room.

Question: can an electric "firebox" be built into the wall with no other insulation, etc?? We really don't want a freestanding one because they look chintzy.

Please..........any suggestions or comments??

Thanks.
Stop talking before people stop listening!
Yanita

Hi,

Check out Sylvia's photos of her fireplaces. I believe they are electric...click on either her name to get to her album, or click on the Album link above and scroll to the bottom till you see ALL USERS albums, Click, scroll till you get to her name, and click again.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Brenda (OH)

If you are not in a hurry, I have seen that the home improvement stores tend to have huge discounts (50 to 75% off) on electric fireplaces at end of winter into spring. Actually, they may go on sale as soon as Christmas is over.

Brenda
Mark
Site Admin

The stand-alone electric fire places come with a mantel (or it can be purchased separately). Many just plug into a 120V outlet. Basically, a glorified space heater.

Before I decide, I'd like to know more about a 220V electric fireplace. I'm sure they'll cost twice as much, but I bet they heat a lot more as a 120V fireplace I think can only have a max of 1500 watts. Not sure on the 220V.

As of this date, Menard's has a good sale on electric fireplaces, but they are all 120V.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
gram2logan

I've been doing a lot of research, and I don't think the electric fireplace will heat the room sufficiently. :cry:

I'm going to call my insurance agent tomorrow and see if they allow vent free gas fireplaces. We just don't want to put a hole in the wall for direct vent and besides, they are not as efficient.

I know most of you have voiced opinions AGAINST the vent free, but it seems as though they have all kinds of safety precautions. And remember, this is going to be in a "spare" room - kind of like a family room or extra living room. No sleeping it it. And I would insist on a carbon monoxide alarm too.

We don't want a "mantel" - it's going to be recessed into the wall that will be built out especially for the fireplace.

Well, whatever we decide to do, I'll let you all know and post pictures too. Hopefully the room will be finished by Thanksgiving!!
Stop talking before people stop listening!