Flourescent bulbs

Share with us your alternative energy ideas and projects. Tell us about your experiments, no matter how far-fetched they may seem.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

mrfixit1

Lots of interesting info. just one more note. If you don't have a hazmat recycle location, look for Sylvania's Recyclepak. It costs $15.00 and comes with a box w/postage to recycle 12 small fluorescents. It adds about $1.25/bulb. This was in a recent consumer reports issue.
Gary Gary

Hi,
If you have a Costco in your area, the one here has been running a real deal on the CF spotlights (as in for can lights). It works out to about 70 cents a light for a 6 pack of them.

Gary
PennylessZ28

I found 6 packs for 9.54 at Lowes, bought them up and have since replaced every light fixture in my home. Some of the fixtures I have reduced to one bulb rather than two. Since I jsut did it this month, and my bill cycle starts new on 12/12 then I will find out next month the difference in my steps I'm taking.
Manitoba Bill

I have found that my CFL's don't last anywhere near the hours on the package. I use a fine marker pen and put the date on the base.
One just failed and was dated 2005, so it lasted 2 years at a cost per bulb of............. I have marked my incandescents and will see how long they have lasted.
Cannot find any CFL's that are NOT made in China.
[color=red]
I'm not an Expert, just a DIY[/color]
PennylessZ28

Manitoba Bill wrote:I have found that my CFL's don't last anywhere near the hours on the package. I use a fine marker pen and put the date on the base.
One just failed and was dated 2005, so it lasted 2 years at a cost per bulb of............. I have marked my incandescents and will see how long they have lasted.
Cannot find any CFL's that are NOT made in China.
I read an consumer reports article and they stated that most fail at all their claims, only the higher end ones actually lasted. Many burned up, but most lasted longer than standard bulbs to a point.

The thing is though, the higher end bulbs cost more.
Gary Gary

Hi,

We have had pretty good luck on life and performance with the Costco house brand -- called Conserv(?)

They have had specials with prices down to 70 cents, with the usual price in 8 pack size of $1.30 per CF.

The life ratings are done without turning the bulbs off or on. Turning off or on shortens the life a bit.
And, it does seem like some of the manufacturers are having problems.

But, replacing a 100 watt IC with a 20 wat CF, burning it 3 hours a day, with 10 cent per KWH electricity saves 72 cents a month -- so if the CF lasts a couple months you still come out ahead.
Pretty hard to go wrong.

Gary
Jim from Canada

I see that Home Depot are taking CFL's that are dead for recycling. At least here in Canada.

Jim