Wood Fireplace Too Hot?

Share with us your alternative energy ideas and projects. Tell us about your experiments, no matter how far-fetched they may seem.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

jfobel

Hello,

I am a new poster but have a concern about our new home. We have purchased a 2008 DWide just under 2k sq ft. Our living area is very open joined between the kitchen and dining area. I usually only start a fire when it is very very cold outside. When I do, I get that small fireplace cranking. I am concerned I am running it to hot. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Jack
Dean2

Did You get a manual for the fireplace/insert? If it is an old style fireplace with no insert then maybe it is covered in the home's manual. The manufacturer should have the specs.

I think it would be a grand idea for any/every member that has a manual to scan/upload it to a special files section here so folks without a manual can search for their specific one,in PDF form or whatever..Maybe this is already done and I've just not seen it yet!

Also,if there is a website with a collection of manuals a link to it could prove valuable.

Dean
jfobel

Good point. I know we had gotten one I will check it out.

Scanning the manual may be a pain though for many folks. Maybe the mfrs websites have them in pdf format?

Thanks,

Jack
Dean2

dunno if this long link will work or not but it has some good info;

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:kqC ... d=21&gl=us
Dean2

Jack, if your manual has a website listed maybe Mark or another Mod would consider adding a "links/manuals" section so folks with questions like Yours can be referred there.Then you,and others,could post any relevant info,wich,if properly understood,could be a huge help.

I'm only guessing here but I believe a properly sized fire with properly dried fuel would put less creosote build-up in the chimney,less creosote means less chance of a chimney fire. Proper/regular cleaning is a must and if Your fuel isn't dried properly then the cleaning should be done more often than recommended. Use the spark screen too,load to specs,light,close that dang screen,especially if you leave the room or sleep with the fire going!

again,I'm no expert and have only used woodstoves and such on rare occasions,listened to friends,and,studied some when I was interested.
Dean2

Jack, what did Ya find out?

Dean
jfobel

I haven't really found much on it. I have read some good info though on the small cracks I found in the bricks. That they don't really hurt anything.
Dean2

Does that mean there is a liner outside the brick to contain smoke and such? If there was no liner then the cracks would be a concern to Me.

*Maybe* the brick is just to radiate heat for a while(and aestetics)after the fire has dwindled. There are some woodstoves that use soapstone in the same way,Woodstock brand I think,pretty expensive,but,beautiful and they have a catalytic burner built in so less wasted heat going up the chimney.

Dean