Solar heat

Share with us your alternative energy ideas and projects. Tell us about your experiments, no matter how far-fetched they may seem.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

dbar1961

I recall seeing a recipe for making a solar panel (PVC or galvanized tubing painted black encased in a plexiglas convered box) that mounted to the side of the house and used either gravity or a PC fan to blow warm air into a home. Anybody have an experience with or direction on the topic? I'll probably never build the thing, but I am tired of hearing about Brett Farve coming out of retirement and need something else to think about!
Greg

Hi & welcome. Check the articals section of the site. Mark the site owner has one as well as some others here. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
DigitalDreams

Just a reply to your post I built a panel 4x8 using aluminum tube a 1500cfm fan and one of marks 90/130 snap switches.

Connected it in line with a 120/240 thermostat and so far it kicks in on sunny days 10 minutes after the sun hits it and puts out about 95 degree heat.

It will run all day non stop till either the room the thermostat is in reaches the preset temp, or the sun disappears.

Since I installed it my furnace has not ran during the day on any day the sun is out.

It even ran on a couple of hazy days when the sun was directly in line with it.