Self Sufficient Home

Share with us your alternative energy ideas and projects. Tell us about your experiments, no matter how far-fetched they may seem.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

archive

You've all heard of retired folks selling their homes and buying an RV and spending much of their golden years traveling. I just returned from a trip to the Florida Keys, and down there some folks retire, sell their homes and buy a yaht. And some of those yahts appear to be quite self-sufficient.

Take a look at the attached picture of a smaller yaht. Batteries for electricity are charged by the wind charger. It's hard to see, but hanging on the sides of the boat is a plastic solar shower bag -- which heats-up water for showering. The sail is used for moving the boat. How much more self-sufficient can you be?

I haven't been inside any of these boats (that's my goal the next time I'm in the Florida Keys). Most likely the yahts probably have a back-up generator or gas bottle for cooking. But all in all, I bet they use very little outside power to live on their boat. You gotta love that!

Mark

Mark
Site Admin

I See they are using an air X or air 403 wind genny. Hope they have good ear plugs LOL, They will litterally wake the dead LOL.

JES
You can't fail if you don't try!
Mark
Site Admin

Dang your good Jes! That wasn't even a close-up picture for you to determine what kind of wind genny that was! LOL

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!