options for tub surround

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

miagolano

I recently had to have my tub removed and replaced due to water damage under the floor (busted water heater). They had to cut the old tub in pieces to get it out as it was one piece for the tub and surround. They installed a new tub and then put in a vinyl surround. They did a less-than satisfactory job - the surround is bright white while the tub is just white (the difference actually makes the tub look almost eggshell) and the surround sticks out about 1" on one side and about 1/2 " on the other so it looks really tacky. I'm meeting with the repair guy today to show him what's wrong and hopefully see if he can fix it to my satisfaction but I have little faith that he will do this without charging me more than I already paid. So, my question is: can linoleum/vinyl tiles (the stick-on type) be used as a tub surround? Are there any other options? When they did the work, they didn't check in with me as they progressed, they were very late getting it done, so by the time they did finish they kind of rushed out and I didn't really have time to say "this is hideous - fix it." But that's all besides the point, I suppose. I just want to find out if there's any way I can fix this. Thanks for any suggestions.
Greg

Hi, I guess my first question is who picked out the tub & surround? It sounds like the contractor just picked out what he found cheap (or what he had laying around. If it is not what YOU picked out, the replacement should be on him.

Stick on ANYTHING should not be used in a tub situation. The last thing you need on top of the problems you have is water & mold damage.

Tub surrounds run from inexpensive to Way too much money. You can find good surrounds on close out At Lowes or depot for $50 - $75. Sometimes you can find damaged ones as well, just look close to make sure the damage will not cause leaks. I have seen some with just a scratch others about crushed. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."