Anyone put up a shade sail?

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

myTdogs

Hi All,

i am considering using a shade sail like this http://www.coolaroousa.com/view-product ... 870433505. over my front porch/deck.

I had planned on just attaching 2 corners to the house & the 3rd out on a nice sized tree but I think I have read that it is not a good idea to attach anything directly to the home...Does the type of fabric matter in your decision? The Coolaroo above is knitted mesh but I was also investigating something more like ripstop nylon- maybe not as wind friendly????

If you would not recommend attaching directly to the house would you use 4x4 posts? ...seems like that would look bad & mean a lot more skill/work involved.

I need something like this to cut back on the horrible debris the trees put on my porch & to help some on the amount of rain while I am trying to get in the house would be nice too.

ETA: I have a Double wide on piers if that matters

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer :D
Cindy in FL
Thanks!
Cindy in Florida
Greg

My concern would be wind load, If you plan on taking it down with any wind you may be OK. I would try not to use your home as an anchor point if possible. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
flcruising

Our Wally-World carries shade cloth in the garden center in green and black. I've used it for under porch screening because it doesn't unravel when cut and is very durable. May look into that. It doesn't have any eyelets, but you can add those yourself.
I also don't see any issue with attaching something like this to your house. It wouldn't add any additional dead load, and being a screen it won't really catch wind. Keep the leaves and branches cleaned off of it.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]