oil base or latex primer??

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

C.J

Thank you Yanita for posting in the repairs forum regarding my "post" that I couldn't find~I knew I was busy with the move but when I couldn't find it I thought I had really "lost" it~my mind I mean!!! :lol:

Anyhoo....my husband and I are moved in and I can't wait to begin painting and adding color!! :D
But my question is about the primer....do I have to use an oil based primer or will a good quality latex primer do the job after I wash the walls with TSP?

Many of you talk about Kilz and being from Canada I have never heard of it and not sure we have it up here. I will check though about the product "Gripper" that has been mentioned.

Also I checked our manufacturers book and it say the walls are vinyl covered gyproc and not wallboard, so I'm not sure if that makes any difference.
I'm really hoping that I don't have to use an oil base or I may be waiting until spring when I can open the windows.
What has been recommended to you and what has worked for you~ oil base or latex primer?
Please tell me latex!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks!! :)
Yanita

Hi CJ,

I personally like a latex primer. It cleans up with water opposed to oil. Your wall panels are what we refer to as wall board. I have painted many with no problems, but as of late there has been a few problems with the primer/paint not adhering to the walls. I personally think the "cure" time was not followed, but that is only my opinion.

Anyways, Ask your paint suppply person which primer he recommends and then see if it comes with a bonding agent . It will say Bonding primer on the can somewhere. To get the best results wait the recommended time before painting over the primer. To know if the primer has adhered to the wall scrape with your fingernail. Of course do this after the "cure" time.

Good luck,
Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
mcfael

Ah yes, the "scrape your fingernail" test. We tried that on our test wall on which the blue tape pulled off the primer and it's still coming off. We have one spot of TSP'd and primer coated wall that has not yet been painted. Once the primer has cured for the proper length of time might we still be able to scrape it off? We want to be sure primer is adhering before we go to the time and effort of painting. And if we don't have any luck with the Kilz Premium that we now have (fortunately a small can) we will try a primer that mentions "bonding".

Stay tuned... *sigh*
Greg

This may be one of those trade offs of "easy to clean" walls. The dirt just wipes right off, but so does the paint. As Yanita suggested check with the paint supply store for their thoughts. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Jim from Canada

I think (and I may be wrong) that Zinnser Bulls eye primer is equivalent to kilz primer.
C.J

Thank you everyone for your replies....the nail test~good idea.
I've checked with a couple of our stores and one says latex primer is fine and another suggests oil based!! :? Also, I found a store that does sell the kilz primer.....but I will check out and see if I can find Zinnser Bulls eye primer...I'm still confused and uncertain what to use....I think I will start in the bedroom using a good latex primer, allow it to cure and then try painting....I have to admit that I am more than a little hesitant now, I've painted a lot of walls but I've never painted on vinyl wall board :!:
Jim from Canada

The thing about Kilz and Zinser primer is that they are alcohol based (like shellac) and will seal the surface from anything coming through. If you have stains on the wall or ceiling, a coat of shellac over top of them will stop the stain from coming through whatever you put over the shellac.