Vinyl Sheetrock Covering

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

crazy_cat

We would like to paint one of our rooms in the home. All rooms have the Amelia Snow vinyl covering which is textured over sheetrock. Our concern is will the paint stay on even if we use a good primer?

Thanks for any help!
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site!

To answer your question, yes you can paint and the paint will stick if the proper preparation is done. Clean walls with TSP, can be bought at any home store, let dry completely, one or 2 coats of quality primer and of course use a quality paint.

I am going to move this thread to the decorating forum. Take a look around there and you will see lots of threads on this.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
crazy_cat

Thanks for the reply. We are getting ready to put our place on the market and wanted to add some color in a few rooms and the bathrooms so we thought painting the walls would look nice. Our home is in excellent condition, 2001 model single wide but we have the white walls in every room.

We also want to paint the ceilings as well. Is there any trick to that? We don't have stains or anything. Just want to freshen the place up a bit which we had planned to do for ourselves but with a death in the family we now need to buy a house so another family member can move in with us and need to get this done quickly so the real estate agent can put it on the market.

I've been reading several posts and see mention of paintable wallpaper. I've never placed wallpaper before so I am wondering which would be the best to do, especially in the bathrooms, paint or wallpaper?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
JD
Site Admin

Hi and welcome to the forum,

If I was getting ready to sell a place, I would not spend money on it if it weren't necessary. Painting or even a thorough cleaning would be good. But paintable wall paper for a large area could get expensive and take a lot of time. If this is your first time at wallpaper, you can expect some mistakes or bad positioning, which may not be so bad for you to live with. But the prospective buyer could see this and get a bad feel from it.

With the painting, do you have sheetrock ceilings or or the ceiling panels with plastic strips every 16"? If you have the plastic strips, are they the exact same color as the panel part? Any yellowing or discoloration will be grease from cooking and/or other stuff that is absorbed from the air. This stuff will usually bleed through paint a coat of paint, especially cheap stuff. If the plastic strips are darker (usually they are), I would paint them with a coat of good primer like Kilz or Zinsser Bin 123. Then use a premium 'high hide' paint. Behr Premium Ultra, Kelly Moore Acry-plex, and Sherwin Williams are all good paints. The Sherwin Williams paint does not have to be the expensive Duration product for ceilings. Also, I don't believe Duration is available in flat. For selling, I would use a flat sheen. For living in, maybe a satin.

One tip for painting in general. First 'cut in" the perimeter of your painting area where needed, then roll the rest. But don't cut in more than you can roll before the cut in paint dries. If the cut in paint is not dried, the rolled paint will blend in a lot better and not leave a such a visible cut line.

Hope this helps,
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
crazy_cat

Our ceilings are the white knobby stuff with the strips every 4 feet. We have a 16 x 80 home. We just wanted to add some color to a few rooms so it wouldn't look so bland. Also want to paint the ceiling with a roller. I clean like a freak around here but just trying to put little extras into it.

We asked a few folks around here that have mobile homes and they used a primer and white paint on the knobby stuff and said it did fine. I just worry about weight and will it pull that stuff off or not. We are replacing all the batten strips as well. Again not that they are bad but we want to make it look as nice as possible. We need to move it fast and get a home so we can get set up ASAP. We live in a subdivision and we are leaving our 12x12x11 shed that we built and painted with a loft, wired for electric and has a heat/air conditioner unit in it, as well as our 10x12 deck we built. Both are only two years old. All the buyer has to do is pass the background check of the subdivision owner and move in after payment. Breaks our heart to leave but it's just one of those things in life.

I am about finished painting our shutters and getting those up, restained the deck and painted the shed already. Want everything fresh and new so the next person doesn't have to deal with it for a few years. :)
Yanita

I agree with JD and yourself. Painting will freshen the place up, but keep your "colors" to a minimum, like taupe, eggshell something like that.

The paintable wall paper is high dollar generally, and then you must paint it, twice the work and can be a real pain as that wall paper is generally embossed.

Good luck.

Yanita
crazy_cat

Yes I thought about colors last night and I think I might put up the beadboard in the bathrooms with decorative molding and actually put the board floor to ceiling instead of painting.

Thanks for all the suggestions! This site is wonderful for ideas and help!
Yanita

Your welcome and good luck selling your home.

Yanita
bguy49

Yanita.... you mentioned cleaning with "TSP"...what is "TSP"

Dave
Yanita

LOL, yup, I know the chemical, just can't remember at the moment..but you can find it at Lowe's maybe Home Depot in the cleaning section. It's cheap, I by the powder form and mix in spray bottle. It slightly etches the walls during cleaning process. Gives the primer a good surface to adhere to.

Yanita
Trudi

Tri Sodium Phosphate?
Yanita

yup, that's it...
bguy49

Thanks, I need to give that a try. I just primed over the vinyl on my last project and it flakes off pretty easy.
Yanita

Again, Prep is the most important thing...you need to wash the wallboard, rinse with clear water let dry completely and then prime with a quality primer.

There are many threads about this if you need more info.

Yanita
crazy_cat

Just thinking here and wondering. Since this is a room with a shower wouldn't exterior primer and paint made for high humid areas work in this room? The primer states it will adhere to vinyl and so does the paint.

The reason I ask is I have a gallon of both I have left over from painting outside and thought maybe since this paint and primer did wonderful outside it would work inside.

I've used this on my shed, shutters and such outside a few years ago and it's held up wonderful, even in the hail storms. :)