Inside corners of rooms...

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

marriednamobile

I know I'll get suggestions to leave the battens on, which they're not that eye-catching anyways, but the decorating I'm doing in some of my rooms require that they come off.
So, do I have to put up drywall corner bead for a flatter corner, or can I caulk the seams, like I did with my wall ones, since there isn't a huge gap?
Plus, wouldn't this help with insulation?
Thanks in advance!
The flower that blooms in adversity is the rarest, and most beautiful of all.
Greg

Your best bet is to try it in one corner and see how it looks. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Denise

Something I did on a single wide I worked on 10 yrs ago.

I used the aerosol cans of expanding foam insulation to fill the large gaps in the wallboard. I gave it a day to fully expand and dry then I took a very sharp utility knife and shaved off the excess. I filled in with joint compound and the drywall tape. HOWEVER, I did wallpaper over my walls. I only lived there a few months after the project was finished so I can't tell you how long it lasted or helped with the insulation.

I'm getting really anxious to see some pictures of your hard work!!

Good luck!
marriednamobile

thanks Greg, and Denise, I'm going to fill the void at the top of my wallboards where some of the panels don't meet the ceiling (hence the tacky trim covering the bare wood beam underneath) it's good to hear that you had success with that, I wasn't sure how I'd finish the top after cutting away the excess foam, I'll be putting molding up top but I still was thinking about covering it with tape and compound, so now it's definitely a go!
marriednamobile

Denise which foam did you use?
AbbottsManor

I used metal backed inside drywall corners. They work great and are quite sturdy. I bought mine at Lowe's. I had huge gaps at all the inside and outside corners in a bathroom remodel I'm just finishing and they did the trick.

Chris
a123

I used caulk for my inside corners.
Also Zinnser bullseye primer will give a consitant texture from joint compound to vinyl wallboard
marriednamobile

great replies!
I have both caulk and foam, I have corner bead, but I want to save it for hallways, and outside corners.
marriednamobile

Ok I caulked some inside corners last night and it worked out really well, I'm glad I asked because this is saving me a load of money!
chablis

I am in the same situation, in my kitchen there is a gap between the front wall and the side wall. Since this is the corner of the house, I filled the gap with expanding foam, let set for a day, shaved off and sanded the excess, and am applying metal corner bead using drywall screws. There has always been a nasty draft in that corner. Since I took off the batten I now can see why!

On the same note, I used corner bead on the kitchen peninsula after pulling off the rest of the batten where my pet beagle had chewed the bottom of it to smithereens! All the while that I was screw-gunning that stuff in place, the little imp was sitting nearby with those big brown eyes almost screaming, "You ruined my party!"

I was amazed at how cheap the corner bead is: I picked up three ten foot lengths for $2.14 apiece and seven eight foot lengths for $1.69 each. I am using a corner putty knife to spread the joint compound on the inside corners. Since this MH has been in the same place for fifteen years, and the footings are below frost line, I doubt it's going to shift any more. About eight years ago we replaced a ridiculous mullion wall near the other entrance with drywall over 2 X 4 framing, replaced the wall on the other side of the entranceway with 5/8 " drywall, and have not had any problem with cracking.
Chablis