TSP

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

morem

I have read many references to TSP for cleaning the wallboard before painting. Is that just any degreaser, or is there a certain brand I should buy, can you buy it anywhere, like walmart or do you have to go to a paint store?? Thanks
JD
Site Admin

You can buy it in most any home or hardware store. Walmart should have it in their paint section. You may not find raw TSP anymore as it is bad for water tables. But there are TSP substitutes.

It is a degreaser and general cleaner for paint prep. It leaves a better surface for paint to stick to. While you could probably do a good job with a product like Simple Green, the TSP type products are better for paint prep.

By the way, as a contractor I carry Simple Green with me on every job. While my contracts clearly states "Construction level clean up", I use it to clean around faucets, tubs and sinks while replacing, my own fingerprints and other dirt I create on whatever I am working on and it is a great quick hand cleaner. It is also excellent on "rubber" and aluminum roofs and for cleaning up new awning and skirting parts that get dusty or dirty. Never messes up the finish.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
morem

Thank you!