i have a question about interior doors

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

middysmom

why are mobile home doors a little shorter than house doors i hope someone could answer this thanks dorothy from tenn
Arlo

The doors are cut short - about 2 inches off the floor- for air return. I understand the heat/ac won't work well if you replace them with long doors.
middysmom

why are mobile homes different from houses in our house the doors were all the way to the floor and in the mobile home they are not i hope someone could explain that is what my husband told me it was was for air flow i thought that was something he was making up thanks dorothy from tenn and is there anyway that you can replace them
Johnny

I read some where that mfg. homes are more air tight and that the space below the doors are there so the air will circulate through the home. Johnny
If I can't fix it -- I ask questions
DigitalDreams

It is because most mobile homes don't have a cold air return system at least in the older models.
Yanita

Hi folks,

Digital dreams has the correct answer. Our homes do not have a cold air return. Your doors need to be shorter than the norm for the furnace and ac unit to function properly.

If you want to replace your doors with full length you will need to cut a hole in the bottom of the door and insert vent covers. This will allow the air to be drawn from room to room.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!