can ceramic be used in a mobile home?

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

middysmom

can ceramic be used in a mobile home i want to use it in the kitchen and don't if i should use it or not thanks dorothy
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site.

As for your question, it really depends on a couple of things. Do you live in an area where your weather changes enough for shifting/flexing of your home? Is your home on below frost line footers?

If your home experiences noticeable shifting during seasonal changes then ideally your answer is no, don't install them. If your home has NO shifting then you might be ok.

Others are going to jump on and say they have done it and been fine. Well that is wonderful, BUT, I certainly wish I had kept side notes for all those that come back and want to know what to do now that the tiles are cracking or popping out of place.

As the homeowner it is your decision to make. I just gave you a little info to consider.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Jim from Canada

As Yanita said, a qualified yes. The area the tiles go in must be rigid and unmoving. It also depends on the aize of the area you are doing. I have put down a 5'x6' area of slate on the floor under my woodstove. I added an extra 5/8" of plywood under it, attached to the floor with screws every 8", making sure I hit the floor joists with 3 1/2" long screws. I would not do my whole kitchen/bathroom in any type of tile, but I would do a backsplash on a counter or a shower stall using the schluter system, which decouples the floor from the tile and allows for some movement.

Jim
DigitalDreams

I have a 73 and I make my own tile so I have done
a large bathroom floor in it.
And the only thing that affects putting it in is you need to use a adhesive based cement which stays some what flexible with age to hold it down and if it is a large area use a underlay.
Also the grout should be a grout that stays somewhat flexible with age.
I have used both with 12 x12 tiles and haven't noticed cracking or separation.
Ask at your local Menard's, Lowes or Home Depot
they should all carry both those products.