I will be painting the paneled wall !

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Barbara

I read the recent post by kmclaughlin showing pics of her paneling that she painted. Also checked some older postings on this subject. I think the painted paneling looks awesome, far better than the dark, depressing, ugly brown panels. I have one full wall and another half wall with that ugly paneling in my living room.

I will start with the large wall. I have the painter's tape on and have filled in all holes and imperfections and am now waiting for a warm-enough day to open windows so I can do the degloss wash. I do not want to use the deglosser in an unventilated room. I have masks and goggles I could use, but I would be concerned about my cat breathing in vapors, so I must be patient and wait for open-window weather.

Fortunately, our weather forecast says sunny and 50 degrees tomorrow and, if that comes to pass, tomorrow is the day to begin. I know, 50 is not all that warm, but I can open all the windows on one side since the breeze will come from the opposite side, and I can put up with a little bit of a chill for a couple hours until the vapors are not a problem anymore.

I am pretty excited about getting rid of this dark wall, which is the far wall in the room, an area that does not get much natural light. The rest of the room is yellow, and I plan to do the paneling in a creamy bisque color. I think this will brighten up the room a lot.

Thanks to kmclaughlin and others who have done this for inspiring me. I want to add that my friends were against me doing this when I told them about it, but I showed them what members here have done and they changed their minds right away when they saw the before and after photos.
Trudi

Nothing like "showing" those doubting friends, huh? Sounds like you're all set to do a good job. We want to see pics, you know :-)
Yanita

Hey Barbara,

You can save yourself alot of hassle by using a bonding primer. I was able to clean the walls, prep, and prime and paint...No deglossing!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Barbara

Yanita,

What brands of top coat do you like? I would like to do this in one coat but am willing to do two coats if necessary. I am looking for a low-luster finish...eggshell or satin. Do not want flat, but also nothing too shiny.

I did use the deglosser; I had not seen your post before I did it. However, I found I had to wash the entire wall first. I could not believe how dirty the wall was. I have only owned my home for 18 months (it's a 20 year old home in spectacular condition) and had done other painting and of course a lot of general cleaning/scrubbing when I moved in. I had done nothing with the paneled wall and had not realized it was so grubby.

I have the wall primed now; it took two coats of primer. It is completely white now and ready for paint. I did not purchase top coat because I wanted to see the wall primed so I could determine if my fixes of damaged areas, holes, etc., were sufficient for something with a bit of a sheen or if anything needed to be hidden with a matte finish.

The wall looks good, but I have no idea what paint to buy. I am not sure if you want to mention brand names on this forum but if you can, I am open to suggestions. I want to do a cream color over the bright white primer so coverage should not be too difficult. My main concern is finding a paint that goes on easy.

Any suggestions?
Yanita

Hi,

I use alot of Valspar satin or semi paint. For the most part I have always gotten a real good coverage on the first coat. BUT, if you choose a dark color like red count on several coats to get a consistent color tone throughout.

Valspar can be bought at Lowe's, other good brands are anything Sherwin Williams and Behr.

Good luck, and you will be truly happy that you have forever banished that dark paneling. I know I was happy to cover mine!

Yanita
Barbara

Thanks! Valspar was one I was looking at because it is easy to find in my area.

Unfortunately I did not get pics of the ugly wall but I will take photos of the finished wall, as well as a before pic of the half-wall that has the same paneling. The paneling I have is pretty typical of what is in these homes, though, and I suppose I should be thankful that my home does not have more of it. My other living room walls are drywall, which I have been told is not very common in a home of this vintage.

Hopefully I will figure out how to post pics.
Yanita

Hi Barbara,

Just re read your post and see where your home is 20 years old. Yup, sheetrock would be very uncommon I believe. Might of been installed from a previous owner.

LOL, my home is 35 years old and EVVVVVERY wall was that very dark paneling. But thankfully I had a good eye for seeing through it and knowing that it could be painted.

In the hall at the bottom of the wall from years of abuse from previous owners it was virtually non repairable. Since painted paneling goes well with my decor taste we removed the very damaged areas, bought new paneling and then I proceeded to prep it and paint!

To get very concise directions on posting a pic I believe JD put a tutorial in the website questions forum, might even be a stickie there.

Yanita
Barbara

I usually prefer a flat finish on walls but on this paneling I think a low-luster finish will be best. I think that will make it appear like beadboard and that is the look I want. It is going to look great with my eclectic/country-style decor.

The wall has a thick chunky beam shelf across it. That shelf had a railing, the kind you might see on top of kitchen cabinets. I removed the railing for a cleaner, more updated look. And less work for me. I could not see myself painting all those little spindles, etc.

I had no idea how much work this was going to be. Not complaining--it is well worth the effort as even the primed wall looks better than the paneling. In addition to the chunky beam shelf, there are three mirrors in recessed chunky framing. It is not just a flat wall that I can roll paint onto...there is quite a bit of brush work involved with all that trim.

Needless to say, I am fussing now over choosing the right paint finish because I do not want a do-over. I'm only half done and my arm is already tired :)
Barbara

The wall is finished...for now.

I cannot believe the difference between ugly brown paneling and painted paneling. This has completely changed the room, for the better!

One thing though...I am afraid of white paint. I find white walls difficult to decorate around, especially in my preferred decor. So, I went with a pale tan. It is called TOAST by Pittsburgh Paints. A very soft warm color, not dark, but not scary white.

Yet, it is too dark for this wall. The wall is at the end of the living room, near the true center of my MH, and there is little natural light there. With that, in the evening the wall apears light, close to ivory in color, but for about five hours during the day it is pink.

So, as soon as I recover physically from this job, a redo is in order.

And then, I will post pics.
Yanita

Hi,

I think Lowe's and maybe others sell 4oz sample containers of colors. This would let you paint small areas and look at it during different times of the day.

OR, I generally get 6,8,10 color chip cards, tape them together and put on the wall. I generally move them around and see what the over all effect will be during different times of the day.

Thankfully, all your hard work was not for naught...the next coat of paint will go on very smoothly! :lol:

Painting tip...once you are done take a small dot of your color choice and mark the inside of a light switch for that room. Then in the future should you need touch up paint your color chip can easily be found!

Yanita