Window awning options

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Betsy

That looks really good!!! The metal strips - you mean long strips of metal that is bent at a 90 degree angle?
Betsy

Meanwhile as I Googled terms like "make your own awnings" I came across a web site for a product called "Easyawn" http://www.easyawn.com/ and they sell the fabric on metal frame type for $120 each with free shipping. They say it takes one person an hour to install and five minutes to take the fabric off for snow or hurricane. Do you think we could beat that price by making our own out of shutters?
flcruising

Absolutely! Considering that shutters can be had for less than $50 per pair, and the other parts for a couple dollars more.

http://www.vinylshutters.net/louvered.html

The aluminum are actually extruded angles that can be purchased at any Lowe's in the hardware section for pretty cheap. They come in various sizes/thicknesses and look like this.

[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
flcruising

Betsy

Hey - thanks for that web site, their prices are the best I've seen. When they say "open louver" do you think that means if you looked at them from an angle you could see through? If so maybe they won't work. About the aluminum strips - my problem (well one of them anyway) is that I live in a very rural and remote area and do not drive so I can't get to a Home Depot. We do have an Ace Hardware store so I could go in there and find out if they can get me what I need, and bring it to my house.... Can I saw that stuff easily? All I have is a hacksaw.
flcruising

Yes, yes, and yes.

Open louver mean you can see between the louvers.

Ace Hardware will have the aluminum.

A hacksaw will cut it no problem, just use a fine tooth blade if you have one.

Another thing you'd need is a drill to make holes in the top if you plan on hanging it from hooks.