Ceramic Tiles

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Sally

Whoa, stop! :shock: Greg, your remarks really caught my eye. I had planned to use unglazed tile (either 12 x 12 or even 18 x 18 for the larger bathroom) in my MH, after installing the appropriate hardibacker board over the plywood first, of course. Are you telling me this tile job will shift and crack? Both the two bathrooms and the laundry room (where I had planned to tile) are on the "same half" of the MH, so the central joint would not be involved. Should I change gears and look at a good class of sheet vinyl instead? Many thanks, Sally
Sally
"No good deed goes unpunished"
bmerri

The tile that I'm using is not ceramic. It's 12x12 squares of heavy lanoleum. Very flexable. They come 20 to a box. Just peel and stick.
Yanita

Sally,

So as not to hijack the thread could you please post your questions about ceramic tile in another thread? It gets confusing answering the different questions of different products in the same thread.

I am going to try to separate your post and let that be the start of your new thread. If I am unsuccessful please start another thread.

Yanita

OK Sally, I did it, please resume from here....
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Jbeard1116

Hello, I do not recommend ceramic tile in a MH. Learned my lesson the hard way...Re did my whole kitchen floor. Used 1/2" hardiebacker screwed down and set into thinset. Laid down 12x12 ceramic tile. Less than a year later, grout cracking and some tiles loose. My floor joists are 24" on center, not enough support for tile. still trying to figure out where to go from here....
1987 patriot 24x44
texasprairierose

Jbeard1116 wrote: My floor joists are 24" on center, not enough support for tile. still trying to figure out where to go from here....
Jbeard1116,

If you are planning on taking up the ceramic tile, you might be interested in checking out the resilient vinyl tile from Cryntel (Lowe's). We have it in our laundry room, kitchen and sunroom and we love it. It looks like real stone and you can grout it or leave it un-grouted. We grouted ours using 1/16" spacers. Since it is vinyl, it flexes with the movement of the house and the grout is acrylic so it also flexes. If you go to my gallery, you can see a picture of the tile that we have...that particular picture is in the laundry room.

Diane
Greg

Sorry Sally, I didn't see your post.
I am not saying you will have tile problems, but I will say that based on information by others seen here the long range odds are not great. you could do a search on the subject and see what others have to say. I do remember one person that was awakened in the middle of the night by what he thought was a gun shot, only to find tiles had cracked. If you home flexes at all the tiles will either break loose or just plain break. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
LynnieCheb

Are ceramic tiles on a smaller area (I'm thinking backsplash in the kitchen) o.k., or will they wake me up in the middle of the night breaking?

Thanks!
Greg

I have done two tile countertops with no problems. the way the tops are mounted do allow for some flex with no damage.

One thing to remember is that if you drop a glass on a tile top, prepare to clean up broken glass. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
NMBowtie

I did 12x12 ceramic tile on the floors in both my bathrooms and have not had any problems. I installed them over 1/2" tile backerboard and used Henry 314 Ceramic Tile Adhesive rather than traditional thinset mortar. The tile has been in over 2 years now, and I don't have any cracked grout or loose tiles. My home is on a permanent foundation and is pretty stable though.

I have also used ceramic tile on all the countertops and backsplashes using the same adhesive directly over the existing countertops and/or sheetrock. The countertops have held up very well, with no cracking except where they meet the walls (should have been caulked not grouted anyway). The backsplashes have done well except in the areas where the tile joint is close to the sheetrock panel joints. In those areas, I have a slight crack in the grout. I probably could have avoided this if I would have taped and mudded the joints prior to applying the tile. Hindsight is 20/20.

With all of this tile though, I have not had one come loose or pop. Again, my home is on a pretty stable foundation and I wouldn't expect much if any movement.
Gun control is not about guns, it's about control.
Yanita

Hi,

Your foundation is what is saving your tile. I appreciate you including that info as many do not realize it is what is under your home that determines what will possibly work and what wont. Also the area in which you reside makes a difference on how much movement your home receives.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
QueenofmyDoubleWide

We have had ceramic tile in our laundry and kitchen now just about a year, and have not had any problems.

We installed it over 1/2 inch backer board, made by Georgia Pacific. I just wish I could remember the exact name of it.Its a newer stuff they use for when you tile walls. It looks like sheetrock with a blue vinyl on one side. On it , it does say you can use for floor tiles.
I don't know if this made the difference or not, since most backer board for tile is really hard. this stuff we used,wasn't solid hard. We also placed our tiles in a diamond pattern. Again, we've had good luck with our tiles.
Also, our MH is not on a permanent foundation.