Modular home vs upgrading a sectional?

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

satter

Hi all,

This is off-topic for mobile home repair, but I'm hoping some people around here may have the experience to help. My wife and I are considering buying a new home, and I wanted to get everyone's take on a question that I had.

Most of the new sectionals can easily be converted to modular for a few thousand more $$$. The ones we are looking at are just basic "boxy" type floor plans.

I can get a $52,000 sectional, and upgrade to drywall and a 5/12 roof pitch for an additional $8,000.

I can get the same model as a modular for $66,000, which includes a 5/12 roof and the drywall both in the cost.

My question is, for a simple home like that (one story, simple layout) what are the advantages of going modular as compared to just upgrading the sectional version to what I'd like for it to have. I could upgrade the sectional version, and come out $6,000 ahead, if the differences aren't too major.

Thanks for any input,
Ryan
Greg

I think you would need to compare the build lists between the two. There may be obvious differences such as doors & windows (sizes & quality) but there may also be plumbing & electrical as well as structural differences that may not be seen.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Greg S

I believe, as Greg is suggesting, the differences are hidden and generally boil down to the overall quality of the build and material. Something the inexperienced buyer may not notice or care about but which may be of importance in time as the structure ages and experiences ware a tear.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)