Jagged holes in skirting-TIP

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Lorne

There are rough, jagged holes in our skirting around most of the foundation. I thought they were from previous owners using a weed whacker with steel wire, but I figured out that they are from rotary mowers with the side discharge shoot open. We have a big Oak tree over us and the nuts that come from it can be the size of a walnut. They sound like a rock hitting the roof.

They shoot out of the mower like a bullet and hit the vinyl so fast that they crack it as apposed to the vinyl just bending.

There is still remnants of Pea gravel around the house that gets picked up too. [Someones great idea]

If you have a "Side Discharge" mower be sure and close the shoot if you have stones or NUT's on the ground.
Before I learned what was on the lawn at least 2 got me in the leg after hitting off the house. OUCH.

I set up my mower to make it mulch so everything stays under the mower or into the rear bag.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Yanita

Hi,

When I mow the lawn or around the Koi pond I mow so the discharge from the rider shoots away from the home or pond. I will complete several passes this way, then turn around and go the other direction.

I am going to move this to the OT as it is not a repair question.

Thanks,
Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

Great tip! Also, for those of you with the weedeater damage or if you want to continue using a weedeater next to your skirting, this is a pretty cool product. Skirt Guards

http://www.skirtguard.com/

The whole idea is that when the weedeater line slaps the ridges of the skirting, it is the impact of the slap that creates the hole. If you look, you will see very little damage to the bottom track which is smooth and without ridges. If you have the little chips, this product effectively covers them, saving the cost of replacement. Last I checked, the Skirt Guards are only available in white.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.