Jalousie window crank box

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

coohlrain

Hi everyone!
I am brand spankin' new, but alas my mobilehome is not. I look forward to posting my profile at a later date but in my zeal for answers to burning questions I am going to jump right in.

I searched the archives but am not having much luck. I am sure you've all been asked this question gobs of times so I am hopeful you'll be understanding that I find the need to ask it again. So here goes.

I have the old jalousie windows and have order the new crank cases but can't figure out for the life of me how to install the dirty &#@(#$@s . I managed to get on in and it immediately bulged open due to strain and busted its seams beyond further use. The second one, same thing. Just doesn't seem to crank enough to open the windows and then they bulge open and just plain work crappy. Did I order the wrong one? How in the heck do you know what position things need to be in when you put them in so they work? Argh.

And if you're already sick of my whining could you please even post a link to the archives where I am sure this topic is silently waiting for me?

Ahhh. Ok, all angst aside. Nice to be here.

Jenny :x :x :x
coohlrain

oops. Sorry everyone for the 3 frowny faces at the end of my message. I thought I was placing ONE within the body of my message at an appropriate point... but alas, I even have trouble placing appropriate Emoticons.

Jenny
JD
Site Admin

Hi Jenny,

Welcome to the forum! I was hoping someone with better info than I have would post some words of encouragement and advice on getting the right cranks. I have been in mobile home repair a long time, and gave up on trying to repair the jalousie windows many years ago. This is certainly a DIY capable repair. But as a pro trying to charge a fair price for the time it took to repair the windows, it just wasn't fair to the customer or my business. Someone with a lot of experience with all the different cranks would do a lot better than I did. There were just to many brands and too many styles in different offset sizes with in each of the brands for me.

Below are some links to different operators and other parts. Maybe sending one of them a picture of the original operator would help.

http://www.mhsupply.com/Part_List.asp?S ... gory_ID=65
3 pages of operators

http://www.doorandwindowparts.com/index.php/cPath/11_49

http://www.swisco.com/page/SI/CTGY/oper ... ccessories

http://www.prime-line-products.com/cata ... df#page=16
a pdf file

Hopefully someone will have better info for you.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

Jenny, Hi & welcome to the family.It sounds like the windows may be stuck from non use or sealed shut for the winter. you could try taking the regulator mounting screws out and see if you can push the windows open. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
coohlrain

Hi JD and Greg!
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Sigh... I sort of knew this wasn't going to be easy but as I am always the optimist I thought it was worth a try. I called a local Mobile Home Supply Shop today that said they'd fax me some diagrams. I haven't received them yet so all hope is not yet lost.

I can open the windows just fine and all the crank boxes are there, they are just worn out, and the windows don't crank closed tightly and some of them slip too much while turning the crank. I did a lot of work on the windows already so I am going to keep trying. I removed all the trim around them and insulated and caulked around the frames. I sanded down all the trim, filled holes with wood putty and painted 'em up real nice. I even made all new screens using kits from Home Depot, so at this point I am pretty committed at least for the next couple of years. If the diagrams I get look helpful I will post them here and share the knowledge.

Thanks for answering. I am sure I will have lots more questions as I spruce the old girl up.

Jenny
Greg

If you have a full service hardware store in your area they may have some regulators there. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."