Total Remodel

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

sammeedog

Just registered this week. I have to say you did a great job.
opinion free

Another beautiful job. You really should consider a career in construction/remodeling. You'd make a fortune.
gtpvette

It's the little things.......

The sliding glass door has always been difficult to open and close. When I say difficult it took two men and a couple of small boys to open and close it. Yesterday I took the door off and cleaned and oiled everything. No good. So I figured out how to get the wheels out. Turns out to be quite easy,,, a couple of screws and the whole bottom of the door comes off and the wheels slide out the side. I take the wheels up to the local True Value and low and behold,,, they have them $6.19 each. Reassemble it,,, one finger to open and close. I swear it's like a new door. I don't think I've ever done a project that cost $12.38 that turned out so well. :D :D :D
Greg

$12.38 for this project, so you just KNOW what that means for the next one! :P

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ponch37300

It's a great feeling to accomplish things like this!

But they usually end up costing me a lot more. My policy is to buy a new tool for any job as "payment"!
gtpvette

I've been getting ready to paint the outside. I'd forgotten that 80% of a paint job is prep and this place needed a lot of prep. I had to grind all of the paint off of the metal front door as I had rust bubbles all over it. I painted it and the awning over the front door last weekend. The awnings will all take a loooong time to paint with a brush. :( I have 7 more to do. Pressure cleaning was done last weekend. I've been fixing the wood work over the last month or so.

This is where the skirting was burnt from the fire two doors down last spring. I had to replace a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood and some of the support structure. In some regards the wood skirting is OK,, some regards not so much. Its fairly easy to fix but it does want to rot over time. The trailer does sit on a concrete pad so that helps some.

Previous owner installed these storm shutters in the skirting to allow access for storage. They work really well.

Another sheet replaced in the rear

This area was the toughest to fix. It's a small area where the AC intake and exhaust lines run under the trailer. What a pain.

Also built this little fence to match the other side and replace a hodge podge (sp?) fence that was here before.

I'm off Friday so it's a three day weekend this week. Should be able to get a dent in painting the siding. Don't know if I'll get started on the trim.
crackur

what type of paint are you using? what is the durability of painting the siding? I'd like to eventually paint my siding if I knew of a good quality product.

Are you brushing or spraying?
ponch37300

crackur wrote:what type of paint are you using? what is the durability of painting the siding? I'd like to eventually paint my siding if I knew of a good quality product.

Are you brushing or spraying?
Do you have a local sherwin williams paint store? If so go in there and talk to them for a while. All the ones I have been to are very helpful and will answer all your questions. They will know what will work and what won't. Just tell them what type of siding you have and if you can bring a small piece in to them to show them. They also in my opinion sell a better quality paint then any box store. You can go to any "real" paint store like sherwin williams or Benjamin moore, etc. But I mentioned sherwin williams because about once a month they have a 30-40% off sale. Ask them to sign up for emial offers when you go in and they will email you when the next sale is coming up. This brings their price down to box store prices but you are getting a better quality paint. Also getting their knowledge, unlike the box stores that I have found just pretend to know what they're talking about real paint stores have good advice.
gtpvette

ponch37300 wrote:Do you have a local sherwin williams paint store? If so go in there and talk to them for a whie. All the ones I have been to are very helpful and will answer all your questions. They will know what will work and what won't. Just tell them what type of siding you have and if you can bring a small piece in to them to show them. They also in my opinion sell a better quality paint then any box store. You can go to any "real" paint store like sherwin williams or Benjamin moore, etc. But I mentioned sherwin williams because about once a month they have a 30-40% off sale. Ask them to sign up for emial offers when you go in and they will email you when the next sale is coming up. This brings their price down to box store prices but you are getting a better quality paint. Also getting their knowledge, unlike the box stores that I have found just pretend to know what they're talking about real paint stores have good advice.

+1 on this. The previous owner painted it with Sherwin WIlliams and I still had a gallon left in a 5 gallon bucket. The local Sherwin Williams guy matched it perfect so I bought 4 additional gallons of their A-100 exterior flat and mixed it in with the gallon I had. I used right at 4 gallons to paint the body. Looks terrific and I still have a gallon left. You do have to buy this stuff on sale or it's really expensive. They were having a 35% off sale,, plus we had a coupon for another $20. I think the 4 gallons ended up costing us right at $100 which is really a good price for a good product.

Still working on the trim,,,, may be for another two weekends. :( Need to go back and buy more white paint.

Lastly, the siding is aluminum and there was no problem with the previous coat sticking. In my experience nothing sticks like house paint,,, I'm still finding it on me from last weekend. I brushed most of it up high on the ladder,, down low rolled it.
gtpvette

Well,,, the painting is 95% complete. Still have one more weekend of odds and ends. I even put in a couple of new palms and made a planter in the front. I'm getting a new load of pea rock this week,,, or at least I hope so.

I've got all the parts less the tub (which I ordered this week) for the second bath. Demo starts right after that last 5% of the painting is done. Let the fun begin! :D
gtpvette

OK,,, moving on it's time for the 2nd bath. This one should be lots easier than the master as I'm not really moving anything,,, just replacing.

Here's the plan. I got a new white metal 54" x 30" tub from Home Depot. Had to special order it but at $149 it's a good deal. We'll do cultured marble panels as a surround. I found a place local that quoted me $300. Never tried these before,, but I like the idea.

Remove all of the batten strips, screw in drywall , then tape and mud the walls. New green board around the tub.

New tile floor. Home depot $1.09 a square foot

I'm going to build a new vanity. It'll be open with two shelves,, some baskets to hold things. A glass mosaic tile top (ebay) and a vessel sink (Ebay).

New light fixtures, mirror, and towel bars etc.

Lastly,,, this room has the last of the old polybuletene flex pipes,, that's all going to be replaced with CPVC and new tub and sink fixtures.

New crown and baseboards

Started the demo yesterday,,,, will finish it up this weekend.

Only thing that stays is the toilet,,, and that's only because I replaced it a few years ago. I'm also going to need to make some type of cover for that window. Not sure what just yet.

The vanity should look kinda like this when I'm done.

Tub a bit like this

gtpvette

I took Friday off (comp day) and got the demo finished and hauled off. In removing everything I found two really strange building techniques.

This is the vent pipe/drain for the tub. This is the wall the tub faucet was on. Instead of putting the vent pipe in the wall..,.. it's outside the wall. The way the old one piece shower fit it worked. It wont work with the new tub so I need to rework it into the wall. :(

This little gem was under the vanity. Wires come up through the floor,, across the floor and into the wall. I wont change this,,, just change the vanity design a bit.

gtpvette

Work continues. Electrical is done with new boxes switches and fixtures. Plumbing is done with new CPVC water lines, relocated drain lines for the tub and sink, vent for the tub was relocated, new faucet for the tub. Tub is in,,, green board is up.

The bad news is a wastewater joint downstream of the tub is now leaking. :( I guess when cutting the existing stuff out I wiggled it a bit too much. This is the joint where the toilet meets the tub. I have a feeling this will take a day or more to fix. Two steps forward,,, one back.

Annie410

This is amazing, just beautiful.
gtpvette

Work continues. Floor tile is in. Drywall tape and mud work is done,,, scraped off the popcorn and retextured the ceiling. Started on the vanity yesterday,, should finish it today. Taking next week off from work so hoping to have this finished or real close by next weekend.